Drag and street car

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cwilly33

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 27, 2020
I'm going to assume your making around 200 HP and being a torque motor keep it around 5000 rpm through the traps. A set of 3.73's in the rear would have you trapping @4500rpm w/ 26 in tires and be streetable. As far as the trans I'd stay w/ a 350 or 400, they are reasonable and easy to build and modify. I prefer the 400 - I haven't hurt one yet. And of course a torque convertor to get you to max torque which is about 2500. My question would be how much track and how much street is this going to see. If the bug bites you now would be the time to start planning for future HP upgrades.
I'm going to assume your making around 200 HP and being a torque motor keep it around 5000 rpm through the traps. A set of 3.73's in the rear would have you trapping @4500rpm w/ 26 in tires and be streetable. As far as the trans I'd stay w/ a 350 or 400, they are reasonable and easy to build and modify. I prefer the 400 - I haven't hurt one yet. And of course a torque convertor to get you to max torque which is about 2500. My question would be how much track and how much street is this going to see. If the bug bites you now would be the time to start planning for future HP upgrades.

It will see more track than street. I don't plan on driving it out of state ,but I would like to be able to drive it around town which is not very big maybe 10-15 miles from one end to the other

Cwilly33

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 27, 2020
If any amount of highway driving is involved and in the budget, get a decent 2004R built. The factory common converter stalls around 1900. My 2200 to 2500 stall flashes around 2300 behind my Olds 350. I used a 3.42 to a 9.4 in the 1/8 mile with a small cam 9.6 to 1 Olds 350. I think a 3.73 is a better choice, go either a Trutrac or Torsen posi with 28 spline axles and girdle cover if you have the factory 7.5" rear.

Thank you I will keep that in mind. I didn't plan on freeway driving but you never know how plans go when your building something

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor