Drag Car with T-Tops??

Status
Not open for further replies.

hurstolds6

Apprentice
Mar 24, 2011
Hey guys. Curious if anyone here is running a T-Top car at the track? If so, did you have to add any stabilizers to the frame or can you safely run it with just the tops on? Thanks everyone!

1SlowBu

Greasemonkey
Jun 17, 2011
I've done it and I don't recommend it. Unless you're gonna use a full cage. I had an 82 Monte w/t-tops . I had a high winding 355 (8500rpm),th 350w/ 5500 rpm conv, 12 bolt 5.13's. The pass side t-top and windshield broke on the 1st real launch. When I hit 2nd gear I heard a loud crack and maybe a second later the pass side t-top popped out of the roof and went flying and then it smashed when it hit the ground. The crack I heard was the W/shield. It cracked from the bottom right corner up to the center.

LS1GN

G-Body Guru
Aug 7, 2011
Central Florida
I love my car, but these things have a lot of flex in them. Some people think because they have a full frame that they are extremely solid, and that is just not true. When I did my body bushings I saw the "flex" firsthand. BTW I have a solid roof car.

I think GM compromised the engineering: on its own the frame is flimsy - and alone the body is flimsy, but together they get the job done.

chevy2480

Royal Smart Person
Apr 28, 2010
williamstown nj 08094
I know guys gnoing low 11's high 10's. Not recommended though one buddies quarters have body twist ripples above rear tires. Put a cage in it if you plan to drag it.

GLICKGLOCKMEX

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 31, 2009
Smithfield n.c.
is the roll cage the best way to avoid these symptoms or can the frame also be reinforced?

chevy2480

Royal Smart Person
Apr 28, 2010
williamstown nj 08094
My GN was a 10.89 car with ttops before i got it with no cage and shows it quarters have ripples above wheel wells from twisting. I have been 12.50's and havent noticed anymore damage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor