Dragging Blazer Front Brake Callipers

Status
Not open for further replies.

1KWIKSIX

Greasemonkey
Jun 26, 2017
Mississauga , Ontario, Canada
Picked up some Re-Man (DuraLast) Blazer Front Brake Callipers from AutoZone for my Blazer Brake Upgrade.
Seem to be experiencing some drag (especially on the Left ) Drivers side brake caliper.

Has anyone else run into such similar issues with Re-Man calipers for these cars?

As recommended by several brake experts I spoke with, I've plumbed in a 2lb residual pressure valve to the front lines....perhaps this is the culprit?

I also installed a Tallon HydroBoost brake set up at the same time. Wondering if the adjustment for brake engagement needs to be adjusted at the brake pedal?

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
residual valves are needed for disks as well or they would back off too far. We used 3 lbs on our race cars.

as for the dragging caliper what is the condition of the flex hose
Never heard that one, but I guess it would work for the situation you describe. I have Blazer brakes with no residual valves- work great. Go figure.

Reactions: 1 users

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Never heard that one, but I guess it would work for the situation you describe. I have Blazer brakes with no residual valves- work great. Go figure.

Let me back up, on our race cars the master sits lower than the calipers, with a master sitting higher than the calipers you can get away with no residual valve but a 2lb valve shouldn't hurt but I would remove it to see if that cures the problem.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I'd say that certainly makes a difference. Given the OP's sitch, I'll stand by my first opinion that it's unnecessary if they're dragging. ;)

I find this strange that there are members on the forum who have put on calipers brakes on the rear and used the stock master which is supposed to have a 10 lbs residual valve for the rear drum brakes and they have said the rear caliper brakes do not drag.

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
Does the factory have a 2lb front? In which case 2+2=drag?
I put a Wilwood MC in the red car that had removable residual valves built into the outlet ports. I just yanked the front one, and left the rear alone.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Does the factory have a 2lb front? In which case 2+2=drag?
I put a Wilwood MC in the red car that had removable residual valves built into the outlet ports. I just yanked the front one, and left the rear alone.

I have looked and it does not seem that the stock master has a residual valve for the front. And reading about the masters I do no think there is any residual valves in the masters any longer. That makes sense witht he guys who have put disks on the back without changing the master or the proportional valve have have no drag

so I have to agree with you that the 2lbs residual valve is causing the brake drag....

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Agreed, never heard of putting in a residual valve for a swap from disc to different sized disc with normal mounting locations. I'd throw it out.

But I'd also be concerned about the brake hose. If they weren't new, then they'd be in the trash can for a new set as well. They are just too darn cheap to allow them to give you shaft.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor