Draining master cylinder

Status
Not open for further replies.

mc1984ss

Master Mechanic
May 18, 2020

Draining master cylinder​

I had to pull the proportioning valve / combination valve out of a car. ( Everything was nicely painted) Needless to say this was a messy job. I know I will never get it back in without making a huge mess and brake fluid running all over the place. If I allow the master cylinder to drain but don't press the pedal will I need to bench bleed it again? I think I did this years ago and since I didn't touch the pedal I was fine. Thanks in advance I appreciate it

airboatgreg

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 2, 2016
You will need to bleed again for sure but i would gravity bleed first. Probably will not need to bench bleed

Reactions: 1 user

malibudave

Greasemonkey
Mar 12, 2010
Houston, TX
If the master cylinder is drained dry, you will most likely have to bench bleed it again since air may stay trapped inside the cylinder because of the angle of the firewall tilts the front of the master cylinder up.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
you will need to bench bleed it....if you don't want to removed the master you can use this method...

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor