Drill and tap size for grease fittings?

Status
Not open for further replies.

clean8485

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 18, 2005
Ontario, Canada
I'm upgrading the front sway bar on my Malibu, and going with greaseable bushings where it bolts to the front frame rails. I'm going to be drilling and tapping holes in the frame mounting brackets for the grease fittings (zerks). Does anyone know the drill bit size for the hole, and tap thread size for the grease fitting? Thanks in advance.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
Are you talking about making something like this?
s-l1600.jpg

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
The above style was designed with a dedicated raised up area for the grease fitting and it's threads, on a stock one wouldn't that leave you with very little metal to tap into and once you install the grease fitting wouldn't it be pushing against the bushing inside and possibly not have enough room to release the grease properly. Just my thoughts without seeing what you are working with.

clean8485

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 18, 2005
Ontario, Canada
I've done this modification on my '84 Monte, and it worked well. I bought the bushings from a company called Top Down Solutions. I've lost the information on the drill and tap sizes that came with those bushings, and that's why I'm asking.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I have drilled and installed the zerks. I don't recall what size drill I used but I didn't bother tapping the hole, the zerk made it own threads. If do tap just remember the threads on the zerk is tapered fo if you tap all the way through the hole the zerk will fall out

bob64

G-Body Guru
Mar 30, 2017
Niagara Falls, Canada
Grease nipples come in a wide range of sizes an depth of threads, so best to get them first. So that alone makes it hard to tell you what to drill an thread.

If it was me l would check the grease nipples with a caliper for size and drill a hole 1 size smaller an force thread it in. Buy short threaded nipples just enough to go threw the metal an not into the bushings.

I've done it a few times and it worked well, Just some thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor