Drive shaft length needed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys,
My 700R4 went on strike this weekend on the way home from Goodguys in Columbus. It is now a two speed, since third and fourth are nowhere to be found. Fortunately my original 200R4 freshly rebuilt by Extreme is waiting to be reinstalled. My question is, what is the original length of my driveshaft before I cut it for the 700 transplant? I want to know so I can get one made before the trans goes in. I need to know if you are giving overall length or center-to-center of the u-joint. Another question, should I go with aluminum or steel. I have one of each, but both are too short.
Thanks in advance,
David

Blake442 said:
Don't forget that the 442 and GN driveshafts are 1" shorter than other G-bodies because of the 8.5" rear.
Did the GN and GNX have aluminum driveshafts? I am leaning toward the aluminum if the cost isn't too much.

JBreu

Royal Smart Person
Jul 15, 2008
Livonia, New York
JBreu said:
If you have the stock 7.5 rear then you would need 52 1/2" from center of U Joint to center of U Joint, and if you have the 8.5 then it's 51 1/2"!!! Here check this link out as well: http://www.montecarloss.com/community/u ... Post762415
Thanks JBreu, looks like my drive shaft has been too short all along. I think I had it cut to 49" c-c. I'll have to get a price on the aluminum vs. steel and make my decision.
Thanks again

I just ordered an aluminum driveshaft at 51 1/2 c-c. I am wondering now though, is the length correct for the sbc i my car. I forgot about that. Did the 307 set in a different location?

84cutlass383

Master Mechanic
Nov 24, 2009
Oklahoma City
xitabl442 said:
I just ordered an aluminum driveshaft at 51 1/2 c-c. I am wondering now though, is the length correct for the sbc i my car. I forgot about that. Did the 307 set in a different location?
how much for the aluminum driveshaft?

84cutlass383 said:
xitabl442 said:
how much for the aluminum driveshaft?

$306.00. I put it on hold, they have it cut but not welded.

Blake442

Geezer
Apr 24, 2007
Minneapolis
xitabl442 said:

SBC or SBO doesn't matter. The flange of the bellhousing will be in the same place.
As long as the trans is in the stock location, 51.5" is the length you need.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor