Drive shaft question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

bertscova

Greasemonkey
Jun 27, 2015
Currently i have a th350 and a 7.5 rear-end. I swaping in a 8.5 out of a 86 442. My question is... will the 442's drive shaft work without modification? On the th350 Its a 79 malibu

crotchss

Master Mechanic
Supporting Member
Apr 14, 2010
Kearney, Nebraska
As long as you have a short tail th350 trans and the 442 still had the 2004r the trans are the same length. But you will have to shorten the drive shaft about 1" because of the larger rear end, at least I had to when I did the same swap, maybe someone else will chime in to confirm this one way or the other. Good luck man.

L67ss

Royal Smart Person
Dec 8, 2016
He's talking about using the matching driveshaft to the rearend

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
As long as you have a short tail th350 trans and the 442 still had the 2004r the trans are the same length. But you will have to shorten the drive shaft about 1" because of the larger rear end, at least I had to when I did the same swap, maybe someone else will chime in to confirm this one way or the other. Good luck man.

Nope.

He's talking about using the matching driveshaft to the rearend

Yup.

Reactions: 1 user

ttype

Greasemonkey
Jan 30, 2017
Brockville, Ontario.
if your DS is still in the car "with" the 7.5", look to see what kind of "free length" there is between your transmission's rear seal to end of machined surface on yoke... the seal will leave a tell-tale guide/mark of free length left.(shiny vs brushed finish) IIRC, there's about 1"(+/-) difference between the two housings. there are almost as many tolerence differences as there are pinion housings out there. factor in some core shift too...

if you're left with 1/8" difference after your figuring, there isn't a lot of "oops" room left (like bouncing on your parking pin, backing your car on a downslope counts too... hey! few have never bounced there cars on their parking pins:rofl:, some have done it once:blah:, others haven't the foggiest they're even doing that:doh:...you might not have, but your significant other never gives it a thought:blam:...)

err on the side of caution! i had a driveshaft shortened for me by Pat's Driveline service for a 700r4 swap. it appeared there was a lot of yoke left sticking out of the transmission (what could i have known? my first driveshaft shortening for a swap)
years later, feeling a little skeptical about using that driveshaft for an even bigger powerplant, pull the pin on an upgrade. get explained (by the shop's order form!) how to measure DS length, do that as per "their" procedure, have a super duper mondo strength DS made up, stress relieved(whole nine yards), have it shipped in, open the box, compare it to the one i was skeptical of, and they were practically identical(length) except in one area.

spline engagement. the new yoke(supplied) had a pile more yoke contact on the output shaft. it felt way more snug on the output shaft as well(think of valve stem guide wear and (maybe?) where odd hard to pinpoint vibrations originate...) wuddya mean? there's brand spankin new u-joints on it

hope this helps

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor