drive train swap or chassis swap

Status
Not open for further replies.

87National

G-Body Guru
Apr 15, 2009
eastern SD
Here is the deal.....I have a mostly stock 86 olds 442. I also just purchased an 86 grand prix with a 4.8/4l60e swapped in by the previous owner.

My plan was to swap engine/trans, exhaust, crossmember, fuel tank, fuel lines, wiring, etc. from the gp to the 442. However, now I'm starting to rethink the plan....and am considering removing the body off of the frame of both cars and swapping the complete 4.8/4l60e chassis from the gp under the 442 body.

One reason that I'm beginning to lean towards swapping the entire chassis is that I have the typical gbody rear frame rail rust on the 442 that is getting to the point where it needs to be addressed.....while the gp has a solid frame.

I've got a good feeling for what kind of time commitment is needed for swapping the engine/trans and everything else. Where I lack experience......is with removing the body off of the frame. How big of a project would this be? Keeping in mind that the body mounts on the 442 might have rust issues and may need to be repaired.

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
  • Agree
Reactions: 1 users

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
Correct....I could kill 2 birds with one stone. I'm just trying to get a feel for the time commitment vs just doing a convential drive train swap.

It is going to suck regardless. Set aside a year.

Streetbu

Know it all, that doesn't
Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
^^What he said^^ If you have rust, you'll have repairs to make and it WILL take longer than you think

lilbowtie

Comic Book Super Hero
Jan 7, 2006
Canton Mi
So I take it the GP is a donor car. You need to have a chat with Streetbu on this site, he lifted his complete body o

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I would do the swap of bodies and while your doing it you can address any issues with the GP frame and your 442 body and replace the body bushings and bolts.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor