Driver door sagging...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tynan918

Royal Smart Person
Aug 2, 2021
My driver door sags and I have to lift it a little bit to close it smoothly...

What do I need to look for that could be causing this ?
20210914_075852.jpg

This top hinge looks to be leaning out to the left a little bit...
20210914_075908.jpg

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
Looks like your door hinge bushings are shot. You could buy new hinges or rebuild your old one's. This is a common problem with g body's.
Also will add that depending on the amount of wear and elongation to your hinge pin holes there's guys who have installed oversized pin kits.

If you use the search function on the board you should be able to find threads that have all the info you need, walk through to part numbers to repair elongated holes, if you don't choose in that case to get better cores or reproduction units.

Nos ones are still there at some vendors, but, it's about $500/set and myself, I'd rather spend the money elsewhere.

Reactions: 1 user

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
Assuming your car is indoors you want to pull the hinges ONE AT A TIME starting with the one that's worse.

Open the door. Brace it with a piece of wood against the flat portion of the bottom, NOT the LIP, on a jack lifting from underneath until the weight and sag are taken up. Then I put jack stands again with wood so you dont touch the lip as safety in case the jack moves.

Take out the worst hinge. You may need to use oversize bushings so be prepared.

Then insert new bushings, new pin, and reinstall the hinge.

Repeat process with second hinge.

There no guarantee it will be perfectly aligned, so close gently with the glass partly unrolled. But it will be one heck of a lot easier than trying to line up the door from scratch as if both hinges were off at the same time and sound only need minor adjustments.

Reactions: 3 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor