Driver side mirror help! Bone head move.

Status
Not open for further replies.

RICKDIZZLE

Greasemonkey
Sep 16, 2014
Friends got some new mirrors and went to change my side mirrors. My drivers side had the cable that ran to the lil nob. After over an hour of not being able to figure out how to get the cable off to seperate thw mirror... We cut the cable. Well the mirror is out and now I realize that cable kept tension on it so it would stay in and not flop...lol. anyhow is there a mirror that will fit in this housing that is like the passanger side with no cable and will go in the housing? In need of help on this one!

L.A.X-RATED

Royal Smart Person
Aug 25, 2010
excellent cond ds door mirror with manual remote "nob" from 87 cutlass---37.29 shipped. pm me if intersted

Reactions: 1 user

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
there is a small allen screw that holds the cables onto the control knob. I would track down another mirror with the cables intact or save yourself some time and aggravation and buy the one from L.A.X.Rated

• Agree
  • Informative
Reactions: 3 users

RICKDIZZLE

Greasemonkey
Sep 16, 2014
Ok here is my question first...the white mirror bucket was my stock. The new one I got has a threaded back socket on the mirror bucket...what mirror goes in this housing? Mine wouldnt even work on this...passanger was fine...this one is like this. Also has a tab on top?

Attachments

• 20180207_193336.jpg
    20180207_193336.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 158
  • 20180207_193353.jpg
    20180207_193353.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 162

L.A.X-RATED

Royal Smart Person
Aug 25, 2010
Dont know as I’ve never opened up one of these sport mirrors?(I’m a 86-88 aero mirror guy,)

RICKDIZZLE

Greasemonkey
Sep 16, 2014
there is a small allen screw that holds the cables onto the control knob. I would track down another mirror with the cables intact or save yourself some time and aggravation and buy the one from L.A.X.Rated
Where is the allen to release the cables? I swear there is nothing on mine. Just the single allen that releases the knob assembly from the door panel.

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Where is the allen to release the cables? I swear there is nothing on mine. Just the single allen that releases the knob assembly from the door panel.
It's in the bezel where the control 'knob' mounts to the door panel. It's a small set screw.

Reactions: 1 user

RICKDIZZLE

Greasemonkey
Sep 16, 2014
It's in the bezel where the control 'knob' mounts to the door panel. It's a small set screw.

I took that one off no prob and pulled the knob. However there is no way to seperate the mirror from the pedestal as the knob will not fit through the hole in the pedestal or the mirror. Its like once GM fished it through the mirror and pedestal then they put on the knob

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
I've never tried to repair a mirror with cut cables. Sorry, I thought you were asking about how to get the cable loose from the door panel.

RICKDIZZLE

Greasemonkey
Sep 16, 2014
I've never tried to repair a mirror with cut cables. Sorry, I thought you were asking about how to get the cable loose from the door panel.
No worries thank you for the reply. Was trying to change my mirror. I.e. take my mirror lens and cable and put it in a new pedestal and mirror bucket. For some reason my pedestals are an inch shorter then all the others that i keep getting. Ive bought 2 passanger mirrors and pedestals and both have taller pedestals. Got some custom engraved g body mirrors...mirrors came off another g body...the pedestals are an inch higher. I dont get it. So now not only do I have the wrong custom mirrors...but i effed up my stock one trying to change it...see old is white and new is chrome...look how much taller the chrome one is...all the others im buying as well are taller like this. I dont get it..mine is an 1985.

Attachments

• 20180207_210656.jpg
    20180207_210656.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 161
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor