Driver window won't stay up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 15, 2020
Jumping in headfirst with these questions now, my customer's '84 Cutlass Supreme has a driver window that won't stay up. it rolls up and down just fine, manual windows, but unrolls itself and slams down so hard it could potentially break the glass. Do we need a new regulator or is did something possibly come loose? Looking at it, with the door panel off, nothing appears to be broken, but I havn't pulled the regulator out yet.

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
Take the door panel off and make sure every bolt is tight. Then watch the mechanism as you roll it up and down. Something is sure to stand out as wrong or broken.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
It is probably the spring that is broken. I think they sell replacement springs

18-780.jpg

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: 2 users
Sep 15, 2020
Thank you pontiacqp, we are pretty sure thats it. There was no obvious damage with the door panel off, but rolling it up and down you can hear this spring not doing a whole lot.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
you will probably find parts of the spring at the bottom of the door.....and while your in there make sure the bottom of the door is clean so the drainage holes can do their job...

Reactions: 2 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor