Driveshaft for 700R4 Trans????'s

Status
Not open for further replies.

dickeymoore

G-Body Guru
May 6, 2009
Atlanta,Georgia
I will be installing a SBC 400 engine with a 700R4 trans in my 1978 Monte Carlo with a 7.5 Posi rearend and will like to know how long will the driveshaft need to be for this combo and are there any cars that I can get this driveshaft out of and fit right in or will I have to have one cut?THANKS :?

jrm81bu

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 9, 2008
Antwerp, OH
dickeymoore said:
I will be installing a SBC 400 engine with a 700R4 trans in my 1978 Monte Carlo with a 7.5 Posi rearend and will like to know how long will the driveshaft need to be for this combo and are there any cars that I can get this driveshaft out of and fit right in or will I have to have one cut?THANKS :?

Should be 3", but it is always best to measure. There isn't any stock ones that I know of. When I did mine a buddy had one that worked but he didn't know what it was out of. And when I say worked, it did, but it was to short and I only used it to move the car around for the most part. It also pulled out on my brother when he was trying to race it without my permission.

japc74

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 14, 2009
I have a similar set up. 383 700r4 In a 85 elco. My drive shaft had to b cut 3 inches to fit.If I'm not mistaking the 700 is three inches longer than 350 turbo/ 200 metric. This would b the reason for cutting three inches off the drive shaft. I really don't know if there is a drive shaft that will fit right in. overdrive is the way to go by the way!!!! You will love it

tc1959

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 23, 2009
Surprise AZ.
Re: Drive Shaft for 700R4 Trans????'s

When I did my 700 swap in my 78 Camino, I called a couple of local drive shaft shops.
They told me how they wanted me to measure to have my old shaft cut.
It only cost $70 bucks with a new yolk to fit the 700 and both u-joints installed & balanced.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor