OLDS Driveshaft length measurement

Status
Not open for further replies.

rfpowerdude

G-Body Guru
Jul 15, 2013
Palm Bay, Fla
When a driveshaft is measured for length, are there particular measurement points? Like center of yoke pivots? Or is it typically measured somewhere else? What and how is the driveshaft for an 8.5" rear Gbody driveshaft measured and what's the measurement it?
Thanks all,

79 USA 1

Royal Smart Person
Sep 2, 2011
Cheektowaga, New York
  • Agree
Reactions: 3 users

JAMCAR223

Royal Smart Person
Jun 6, 2014
Houston, TX.
Joe, it's easy. With car on the ground or a drive-on lift ( weight on the suspension ), insert the transmission yoke into the transmission. Pull it out 1 inch. Now measure from the center of the u-joint hole in the yoke to the center of the u-joint hole in the rear axle's yoke. That is the length of your driveshaft.

8.5" with 200-4r on my GN = 51.43 inches.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

rfpowerdude

G-Body Guru
Jul 15, 2013
Palm Bay, Fla
Ah cool guys, thanks. I may have a line on a driveshaft that "looks" like it may be for the 8.5" in a Gbody and I wanted to have the guy make measurements.

Reactions: 1 user

57 Handyman

Master Mechanic
Feb 6, 2017
Joe, if I recall correctly, I had 2" removed from my stock driveshaft in order to accommodate the 8.5" GN posi rear end I installed. My stock 87 El Camino had a 2004r and stock rear end assembly. I found that information on this site after searching "installing 8.5" rear ends". I believe a shortened driveshaft was needed to accommodate the larger 8.5" housing and provide sufficient play.

JAMCAR223

Royal Smart Person
Jun 6, 2014
Houston, TX.
The difference in length between a 7.5 driveshaft and a 8.5 driveshaft is 1 inch. The larger case on a 8.5 rear axle will require a shorter shaft.

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Very good info from everyone. Don'y get worried over this AT ALL.

I set the rear axle on jack stands, and the front wheels on blocks of wood. Push on the trunk to get the suspension to settle. Put the trans yoke all the way in, measure from center of UJ cap to center of UJ cap, the deduct an inch as James mentioned. My son's shaft is 51.25" with an 8.5 and 200-4R. But if you have adjustable uppers and lowers, then you can make up 1/4-3/8" in rear adjustment easily.

Don't go off from anyone elses measurement. Measure for your self. And being off by a 1/2" in either direction isn't any issue as long as your ride height doesn't change by 2 or 3".

Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor