driveshaft length with 700r4 stock rear end

Status
Not open for further replies.

bizzyboi

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 23, 2011
going to be using a 700r4 trans, any idea of how long does the drive shaft needs to be shortened? i don't have my engine and trans put in my car yet so i cant measure myself, but id like to see if i could use this aluminum drive shaft, anyone know what length it should be?

JBreu

Royal Smart Person
Jul 15, 2008
Livonia, New York
bizzyboi said:
going to be using a 700r4 trans, any idea of how long does the drive shaft needs to be shortened? i don't have my engine and trans put in my car yet so i cant measure myself, but id like to see if i could use this aluminum drive shaft, anyone know what length it should be?
49 1/2 " from center of U-Joint to center of U-Joint....You can get yours cut 3", so long is the car had the th350 with the 6" shaft:)

bizzyboi

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 23, 2011
i dont know what this driveshaft came out of was under a shed in the back yard, im going to measure it later and hopefully it will work. quick ? question what can i expect from to get from this ds other than just less weight?

GP4U2NV

Greasemonkey
Sep 12, 2008
Cincinnati
The up grade is not needed unless huge power is being made or vehicle is being used as a track car (not 1/4) mile.
My stock with a 3 speed was 3 inches too long. I got mine cut and new joints and balanced for 150$ tax included

bizzyboi

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 23, 2011
the thing is that if it will work i can get it for free, so either way with an aluminum or steel drive shaft both would end up needing to be cut so i rather go with the lighter 1

dogsht

Royal Smart Person
Nov 11, 2008
Dayton, OH
Three speeds are best left in the 70s. Good for a drag car or if money leaves out the better options.but almost as obsolete as wood spoke wheels on a good quartermile geared street car. Gas got expensive & so did labor & parts for rebuilds. I'd sell the 700 someone needs it. You would be best served with what the General put in their performance gbodys, the 200-4R. No cutting driveshafts etc to make it work plus better gearing, more efficient etc.

bizzyboi

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 23, 2011
my car didnt come with the transmission. i already have a 700 so thats what i have to use. reading up on them they dont seem to be that much different other than size

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor