Driveshaft length

Status
Not open for further replies.

cycomiko

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 1, 2010
My stock 7.5 driveshaft is about 52 1/2 from u-joint to u-joint. Does 51 1/2 sound correct for a 8.5 rear upgrade.

85GPLef41

Royal Smart Person
Nov 14, 2008
Colorado
cycomiko said:
My stock 7.5 driveshaft is about 52 1/2 from u-joint to u-joint. Does 51 1/2 sound correct for a 8.5 rear upgrade.

Sounds about right.... best way to make sure is raise the car up on jackstands and with the weight of the car on the rear axle, install the drive shaft in the trans and measure from center of the front u joint to rear u joint. I did the same and but can't seem to remember the exact measurements... :| but It worked out great!

don4life

Apprentice
Jun 22, 2014
i read some where that the 8.5 drive shaft was an inch shorter than the 7.5 but could be wrong

cycomiko

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 1, 2010
How much should I pull out the yoke in the trans before I measure. I've been told to insert the yoke all the way and then pull out about 1/4 of an inch. Someone else suggested to do it 1 inch. What should I do?

• Winner
Reactions: 1 user

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
If you are using a drive shaft you used with 7.5 rear there is no need to try to figure out what length you need. The drive shaft for 8.5 rear is one inch shorter

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor