Driveshaft length

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sean80monte

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 14, 2015
Massachusetts
Hello, new here. I have a 80 Monte Carlo that I swapped a 87 grand national rear end into. Does the driveshaft from the 7.5" rear end fit properly? It's installed and runs and drives but am concerned that's it's gonna break the transmission. I've read that it needs to be shortened. I attached a picture of the driveshaft in the transmission while on pavement. Thanks for your help.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 1,614

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I would stop driving the car, when the rear suspension compresses the driveshaft could crack the transmission housing

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
when you get the driveshaft shortened depending on the condition of the tube you might want to ask about a new tube. It should only be about $50 for a new tube since you have the yokes and the shaft has to be balanced after it is cut. Also once it is balanced permanently mark the position of the slip yoke cause it is balanced with the driveshaft. If the u-joint is ever changed and the slip yoke is put on out of phase that could cause a viabration

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor