driveshaft question

Status
Not open for further replies.

fodoimp

Master Mechanic
Oct 8, 2006
Southern New Jersey
getting ready to do a sbc th350 swap into an 86 cutlass with a 3.8 and 200 metric. Need to know how the stock driveshaft would need to be changed. will the stock slip yoke fit into the th350 and will the length need to be changed.

ss4ever

Greasemonkey
Jan 4, 2006
Shelbina, Missouri
TH350 is a direct bolt in, everything will be the same including the driveshaft as long as you got a short tailshaft th350.

The only thing you will have to do is run a vacumme hose down to the modulator valve on the th350.

Good luck.

Randy

BB Olds

Apprentice
Feb 18, 2007
Wi.
isn't the x member location diffrent for the mount on the 200 and 350 ? the drive shaft and slipyoke are defintly the same.

ss4ever

Greasemonkey
Jan 4, 2006
Shelbina, Missouri
Well that all depends on if the 200 metric is really a 200-4r or just a three speed trans. If it is the three speed trans then the th-350 bolts right in. If the car has the OD 200-4r then yes a different crossmember is needed.

Randy

BB Olds

Apprentice
Feb 18, 2007
Wi.
I thought the metric 3 speed is a th250, or th350C, but i see what you are saying an 86 should be the over drive tho.

fodoimp

Master Mechanic
Oct 8, 2006
Southern New Jersey
its defiantely a 3 speed and was told its a 200 metric but that could be wrong
I know its not a 200r4 like my neighbors monte carlo has
Im putting in a 327 with a th350 and am just trying to get all the parts I need before I do the swap because getting my car in my own shop is very rare!
thanks for all the help guys

jerrycad472

Master Mechanic
Nov 11, 2006
Detroit, MI
SS4ever is correct, it should bolt right in. Make sure you have the SBC engine mounts.

beachbum29

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 5, 2006
Upstate
yup, direct bolt in. run a new vacuum line down there. while you've got the engine/transmission out of the car, you'd be time and safety ahead of the game by running a new fuel line down the passenger side of the frame rail in the factory locations, and removing the fuel line from the drivers side. also if your car has AC and you'd like to keep it, look around for any V8 elky, monte, or bu that has ac ,and grap the condensor and lines from it with the compressor and brackets and it'll all bolt up. you'll also need a shroud from one of the above mentioned cars with the radiator. I did this swap in an 87 old cutlass, but swapped in monte ss drivetrain, dash, ac stuff, an exhaust. If you click on my page below, and click on the olds page, there's some pics of it. I didn't clean up the engine or anything so it looked all stock.

fodoimp

Master Mechanic
Oct 8, 2006
Southern New Jersey
Im planning on running a serpentine setup out of an 89 camaro because it keeps the ac compressor on the same side as mine plus it just looks alot cleaner. I am not 100% positive if all the lines will fit into the new compressor but I guess Ill find out! really want a clean appearance under the hood but still retain the AC for the humid Jersey summer. I will have to sacrifice a bit on the appearance end to keep the a/c. I am goign to strip everyhting down and clean it and polish all the aluminum components suct as the drier and hard lines.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor