CUTLASS driveshaft selection

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deadeyejedi80

Greasemonkey
Apr 8, 2018
Saratoga springs ny
looking for ideas on replacing the driveshaft when the time comes .im going to retain my original rear and beef it up in my 1980 cutlass supreme ,and drop in a 455 with a short tail shaft turbo 400 .im assuming the length may change as well as the front yoke .does summit or any other vendors make one for this application?or is this something i would have built in a custom shop ? thank you

L92 OLDS

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 30, 2012
West Michigan
Have a custom shaft built. I paid just under $300 for a nice chrome moly shaft and upgraded 1350 yokes and U joints. Better safe then sorry.

1548429157356.png

Deadeyejedi80

Greasemonkey
Apr 8, 2018
Saratoga springs ny
If I have one made where do I measure the length from to give to the builder? and do I keep the same size rear universal joint ?

Deadeyejedi80

Greasemonkey
Apr 8, 2018
Saratoga springs ny
after a little research on the computer getting the measurement is no big deal .one of the more popular builders i see online is dennys but those are 500.00 and up .442 where did you get yours ? fleming i will look into your suggestion as well thank you all for the replies

marcar1993

G-Body Guru
Aug 31, 2007
New Jersey
Look around your area for a local driveline shop. I had a 3" DOM shaft made up for ~$300 for my car.
Id also say, if you have a 7.5 you might want to rethink keeping the stock rear, but you can always shorten the shaft later if you upgrade.

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
A couple of things to consider, if you're keeping the stock 7.5 rear end, then upgrading u-joints is not necessary due to the rear end will blow up before the driveshaft will. Don't take that comment the wrong way though, the 7.5 will live for a good while as long you have 'normal-ish' street tires meaning don't launch this regularly on sticky tires. 2nd, to measure for a driveshaft, measure from the center of ujoint cap to center of ujoint cap with the car sitting on the wheels with normal weight on the wheels. Meaning don't do this until you have the 455 and trans installed in the car with all suspension upgrades completed. From there stick the trans yoke in as far as it will go (bottoms out), then measure from yoke to yoke and deduct 1.5".

This process is somewhat of a PITA id you don't have a drive on lift, but it can be done. X2 with FleetPride, but Albany is a large area, ask at one of the speed shops or machine shops. Lastly, don't reuse your old tube - you can re-use the yokes if they are still in spec.

Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor