Driveshaft yoke stuck in transmission

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bonnewagon

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
I found a perfect G-body driveshaft in a junkyard. Super clean, even the paint is good. I think it's a 1980 Regal with a T-350. But the yoke won't come out of the transmission. The rear is gone and I have lost of room to work. I even used a prybar to no avail. What in the world could be holding it in?

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
I found a perfect G-body driveshaft in a junkyard. Super clean, even the paint is good. I think it's a 1980 Regal with a T-350. But the yoke won't come out of the transmission. The rear is gone and I have lost of room to work. I even used a prybar to no avail. What in the world could be holding it in?
Just spitballing here...

Maybe a ratchet strap through the 'window' between the yoke and the shaft. Other end around a rear crossmember and see if you can pull it out. Short of twisted splines (hard to imagine) I can't imagine what has it. Probably just a burr.

Reactions: 1 user

ELCAM

Royal Smart Person
Jun 19, 2021
Rusty splines is my guess. A big heavy rubber mallet and drive it out. Or maybe some careful work with a dead blow hammer.

Bonnewagon

Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
I'll have to go back with some tools and hardware. In my experience they just practically fall out on their own. The splines are soaking in transmission fluid at all times and that is the best penetrating oil I can think of. Unless there is water inside the trans.

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
BFH will get the job done

Bonnewagon

Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
BFH will get the job done
That's what I'm afraid of. Then the yoke might be too out of whack to be of use. This shaft looks too good to be original. I wonder if some idiot used sealer on the splines so it would not leak. Not realizing the yoke splines are in a dead end hole and the outer surface is what rides inside the tail shaft end seal.

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
I had a yoke stick in the trans when I bent the splines (3500rpm clutch dumps at the track with 550ftlbs).

I put a ratchet strap from the rear U joint to the hitch/bumper and whacked the driveshaft using a 2x4 to hit the yoke.

Reactions: 1 users

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
That's what I'm afraid of. Then the yoke might be too out of whack to be of use. This shaft looks too good to be original. I wonder if some idiot used sealer on the splines so it would not leak. Not realizing the yoke splines are in a dead end hole and the outer surface is what rides inside the tail shaft end seal.
What 81cutlass and L92 reference is what will work. If it won't come out with some pressure being applied by a ratchet strap and 4-5 good whacks, then most likely the yoke is either twisted or rusted beyond re-use.

FWIW, I have two shafts in the shed if you're interested in a drive to snow land.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor