Drop Spindle Installation

Status
Not open for further replies.

leefybeaver

Apprentice
Jul 23, 2012
Canada
what did Western Chassis say about the problem when you contacted them?.... :popcorn:
I just messaged them. Haven't heard back yet. I usually get quicker responses here! If I add a thick washer it all tightens up. Not sure how great of an idea that is!

Attachments

• 20201010_101656.jpg
    20201010_101656.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 133

81Regal

Royal Smart Person
Apr 5, 2009
Terril Iowa
As long as the rotor spins freely an extra washer shouldnt bother. How does the caliper line up with the rotor?

Reactions: 1 user

scoti

Royal Smart Person
Sep 5, 2019
Texas
Are the inner and outer bearing cones tight against the spindle diameter?
^^This.^^
Most drop spindles are for S10's & might use the different wheel bearings. I had the same issue w/the drop spindles I put on a 78 Malibu. Verify the wheel bearings fit properly on the spindle itself. If so, you'll have to get the correct S10 rotor (they are different).

Calipers & pads will still work.

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
Probably repeated your work, but using RockAuto, I confirmed that a 1992 S10 pickup and a 1982 Malibu use the same A6 inner an A34 outer wheel bearing sets. Both use an ACDelco 18A87 rotor, so that's not different, either.

Does the wheel seal fit over the S10 spindle where the upper red arrow points? The shape of the Gbody spindle in the same area looks a little different (lower red arrow). IIRC, the spindle is pressed into the knuckle here and the seal rides on a feature machined into the knuckle. Does not look like a removable part that is 'missing' from the S10 design.

Spindle.jpg

I conclude that you could add some washers under the castle nut.

Last edited:

leefybeaver

Apprentice
Jul 23, 2012
Canada
So I did get a response back from Western Chassis, and they do see this from time to time depending on the rotor manufacturer, is what I was told. They do have a larger spacer/washer for the keyed slot to make it all work nicely. They are going to send me that part. I just found no mention of this possibility anywhere so was having some WTF moments when putting it all together. Regardless I wasn't doing anything else wrong. Bearing are good, bearing races are/were set properly set in the rotors, caliper lined up fine. I did use an extra washer in there for now. Seems to be fine. Now its time for some wheels! Thanks for the input on the post. I always appreciate the help here.
20201012_175930.jpg

• Winner
Reactions: 2 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor