Drop spindle question

Status
Not open for further replies.

fly_25

Greasemonkey
Oct 20, 2020
I am thinking about getting 2 inch drop spindles, will I have any fitment issues with the control arms or tie rods on 14 inch stock rims? Thanks!

JAMCAR223

Royal Smart Person
Jun 6, 2014
Houston, TX.
I am thinking about getting 2 inch drop spindles, will I have any fitment issues with the control arms or tie rods on 14 inch stock rims? Thanks!
No fitment issues with your suspension or 14" wheels. You will need an alignment after installing.

• Disagree
Reactions: 1 user

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
It depends on which stock wheels you are using. I had some minor interference issues with the upper control arms that required some very minor clearancing for use with my N78 aluminum 442 wheels, but after that no problems. Also, drop spindles do not change your steering geometry, so a wheel alignment is not required afterwards.

19081227-D8CF-468C-AB52-81977268DFA9.jpeg

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: 1 users

JAMCAR223

Royal Smart Person
Jun 6, 2014
Houston, TX.
It depends on which stock wheels you are using. I had some minor interference issues with the upper control arms that required some very minor clearancing for use with my N78 aluminum 442 wheels, but after that no problems. Also, drop spindles do not change your steering geometry, so a wheel alignment is not required afterwards.

View attachment 182151
We can agree to disagree, but this just a small sample of the testimony you will find online. I chose these responses, because they were from G Body owners. Check the S10forum, StevesNovaSite, etc. Toe & caster are almost always out of whack after installing drop spindles. I've personally installed dozens of sets in S 10, G Body, 88-98 Chevy's, and always took it in for an alignment, or had the customer take it for one. As far as wheel fitment, I guess it depends on the wheel. Don't let a little grinding on a control arm lip keep you from lowering your car.
Hello. While I wait for the day when I can tow my car to have the transmission fixed again in the next week or two I am going to change my brake calipers, lines, and add 2" drop spindles. I bought a Stainless Steel Brake "Quick Change" kit with twin piston bolt on aluminum calipers and high performance ferro-carbon pads. The kit looks sweet and like a much better set-up. I also bought a Russell stainless steel braided brake hose kit and Bell-Tech 2" drop spindles since my Monte sits higher now with a fiberglass hood and weight reduction in the front end. It should look perfect with the 2" drop in the front..I will wait and see if I need to drop the rear.

The question is: In the instructions, it says that after installing the spindles and putting the wheels back on it may be necessary to turn the tie-rod ends 2-2 1/2 turns to adjust the toe-in if the wheels appear to be out of alignment. Has anyone that have put these spindles on had to take their car to get it aligned afterwards? I know it is always a good idea to check it, but I thought that these should replace the factory spindles perfectly and, as long as I dont mess with the tie-rod end adjusting sleeves, it should, in theory, maintain the same alignment. Correct?

Here I go, messing around with the Monte again...Always something...

-Josh
#339215 - 07/09/06 01:07 AM
book.gif
Re: Bell-Tech Drop Spindles..Did you have to align your car afterwards?
ls1_monte

15+ Year

Eastern Iowa
thats what I was told when the spindles were put on that you should check alignment.

'87 Monte SS With a stock 11,000 mile '98 LS1/T56.
#339216 - 07/09/06 01:29 AM
book.gif
Gruvin

15+ Year

Texas
I know for a fact that you will need to correct the front end alignment after the install. The tie rods will need adjustment...

My first SS! Sold Jan 2004
[Linked Image]

87 SS bought 9-5-04: Sold 6-18-2010 - project 87 finds a new home with another undisclosed MonteCarloSS.com member!
#339217 - 07/09/06 02:18 AM
book.gif
ss4ever

15+ Year

Shelbina, Missouri
Yup, every time I installed a set the wheels were toe out pretty far, you could ruin tires quick!

Randy

1983 Monte Carlo SS Turnkey ZZ4/700R4, Dakota Digital Instrument Cluster, 77k mile car. Many more mods to come soon.
#339218 - 07/09/06 12:04 PM
book.gif
85t5mcss

Indpls.,IN
Align it afterwards.

1985 Monte Carlo SS, T-Tops, 355cid w/ AFR 195s 409HP/429TQ, C5 Front Brakes, T5 5 Speed, QA1 Adjustable shocks/springs Front and Rear blah, blah, blah..........
Silly "Ricers", useless wings are for penguins!
#339219 - 07/10/06 07:53 PM
book.gif
MC87SS

15+ Year

Tallahassee, Florida
Most Definatly...
When i installed mine i forgot to get it done until i noticed bands showing on the inside of my new tires...
Won't make that mistake again..

• Agree

Turbo Zach

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 8, 2015
When I put drop spindles on my car. The alignment was off. I also had to grind a little off one caliper to clear a 16 inch GTA wheel. The two inch drop spindles, lowered my car closer to three inches when everything settled. Weight transfer I think? I didn't lower the back at that time. The front came back up a little when I lowered the rear of the car. I think results will vary between different cars. Condition of original springs, engine weight, and wheels.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor