Dropped spindles roter question

Status
Not open for further replies.

1979elky

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 30, 2012
I purchased Belltech 2" dropped spindles, I've read somewhere that I need to change to metric roters. Any comments, or knowledge if that is the case?
Thanks for any help.

1983regal

Master Mechanic
May 2, 2011
St. Louis MO.
I believe you need rotors for 84 to 87 g body, the safe bet would be to use them for an 87 g body. The early cars had a smaller spindle stub and somewhere between 80 to 83 they changed twice I believe. Below is from this thread;
viewtopic.php?f=25&t=29235&p=322099&hilit=drop+spindle+rotor#p322099

My on-line g-body research told me we share the same front suspension from the control arms out (except spring rate) as an S-10 truck. Knowing this I ordered a set of S-10 hubs made from cut down rotors from a guy on an S10 forum. They came with new seals and new extended studs, $110 shipped. Being under time constraints this was quicker and less stressful than trying to find a machine shop that could cut down mine. After hacking up my 79 spindles to fit the LS1 caliper adapter bracket and painting them and the S10 hubs, I found out I just flushed $110 down the toilet when I tried to assemble everything. My 79 g-body outer bearings were too big for the S10 hubs. A trip to the auto parts store later revealed the S10 outer bearings were too small for my spindle. At this point I was getting a bit frustrated.

After a big fail with the hubs I did a little more digging. All listings for interchangeable parts, a drop spindle for example, list S10 and 1982+ g-body as the same part numbers, but no one could explain to me why that didn't include the 78-81 cars. Further digging revealed the deal-

All 1973-1988 A/G body cars and non-sealed hub S10s have the same inner front bearing and seal, part # 6 for the bearing.

All 1973-1978 A/G body cars have the same outer bearing and spindle pin measurements, making the 1978 g-bodies, which are actually still called A bodies, the original bast@rd child. This bearing has a smaller inner dia than the 79-81 cars, bearing part #2.

All 1979-81 g-body cars have the same outer bearings, larger outer and inner diameters than the 1978 g-body and S10s, i.e. a larger spindle pin. The rotors for these cars also have larger hub diameters. This makes these cars the step bast@rd child. Outer bearing part #3. A 1978 or an 82+ rotor will not fit a 79-81 spindle. How dumb is that?!

All 1982 and up g-bodies and S10s have the same outer bearings, using a smaller outer and inner bearing diameter, i.e. a smaller pin. Outer bearing part # 34. Everything seems to swap between these two vehicles.

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
So either '82-up Gbody or S10 rotors (bearings and seals) work, right?

1979elky

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 30, 2012
Hey, thanks 83 regal, it couldn't be clearer. Thanks. Now I can go spend a little more money.
Any one need stock spindles, bearings and roters?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor