Dropped Suspension and Shock Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
I know this might sound like a pretty dumb question but do you need to change the length of your shocks if you do a 2" drop on your suspension ?
Before I put my car into the body shop I had replaced all the shocks with the cheaper series of KYBs. Figured they would be okay for a driver. The car sat suspended on jack stands for a long time. My fault due to being laid up from knee surgery. When I took the car back down off the stands all four shocks pretty much lost their pressure. Im assuming from being fully extended. I couldnt find the receipt so I couldnt send them back for replacement. I went to the local auto parts and bought a set of Monroes for the front. Now that I put them in theres no give to the front at all. It almost feels rigid. That normal ?
Im getting ready to pull the rear out so I can replace the control arms. Figured it would be good to ask !

84dragcutlass

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2009
North Vernon IN
I would say you need to look into shocks that fit your new application. Chances are after you did the drop and all your suspension has now settled in you're probably at the end of your travel on your shocks. Have you checked to make sure youre not sitting low enough to be on the bump stops?

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I know this might sound like a pretty dumb question but do you need to change the length of your shocks if you do a 2" drop on your suspension ?
Before I put my car into the body shop I had replaced all the shocks with the cheaper series of KYBs. Figured they would be okay for a driver. The car sat suspended on jack stands for a long time. My fault due to being laid up from knee surgery. When I took the car back down off the stands all four shocks pretty much lost their pressure. Im assuming from being fully extended. I couldnt find the receipt so I couldnt send them back for replacement. I went to the local auto parts and bought a set of Monroes for the front. Now that I put them in theres no give to the front at all. It almost feels rigid. That normal ?
Im getting ready to pull the rear out so I can replace the control arms. Figured it would be good to ask !

your suspension does not compress any further with shorter springs than it does with stock springs. I changed my rear shocks to the shorter version cause the springs would fall out if I jacked up one of the rear corners of the car.

what is the spring rate of the springs you have in the front. The shock does not hold up the car, the springs do and the shock regulates the compression and expansion rates.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor