Dropping "Social Groups" Section

Status
Not open for further replies.

GP403

Administrator
Site Admin
Feb 25, 2005
Rolla, MO
Failed experiments being what they are and all, I'm probably going to get rid of the "groups" section that I put in place last year, since well, nobody's using it.

That's cool, no worries, just wanted to give a heads up in case anyone had any info in there they needed to keep or anything.

Also will hear arguments for keeping it.

Setting 9/1 as a target date.

JAMCAR223

Royal Smart Person
Jun 6, 2014
Houston, TX.
Thanks for the heads up. I want to print the pages that Rus posted in the Aeroback Owners Group. Wife says we need color printer ink, so this will give me time to get some.

Reactions: 1 user

GP403

Administrator
Site Admin
Feb 25, 2005
Rolla, MO
Thanks for the heads up. I want to print the pages that Rus posted in the Aeroback Owners Group. Wife says we need color printer ink, so this will give me time to get some.
I'll go check that out. Maybe there's a way to move things into the regular forum.... stay tuned.

Reactions: 1 users

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
Failed experiments being what they are and all, I'm probably going to get rid of the "groups" section that I put in place last year, since well, nobody's using it.

That's cool, no worries, just wanted to give a heads up in case anyone had any info in there they needed to keep or anything.

Also will hear arguments for keeping it.

Setting 9/1 as a target date.
In my experience one of the biggest detractions from using it is that getting to them isn't mobile friendly. If I'm using a laptop it's easy. On my phone, which is used 99% of the time, it's not.

I wonder if we had a different tab on the mobile homescreen..

We have new, recent reply, most viewed, hot, sale/wanted....

Maybe hot could be replaced by bringing you to those. I mean, if it's "hot" wouldn't it be up there in recent replied or most viewed?

• Informative
  • Agree

GP403

Administrator
Site Admin
Feb 25, 2005
Rolla, MO
In my experience one of the biggest detractions from using it is that getting to them isn't mobile friendly. If I'm using a laptop it's easy. On my phone, which is used 99% of the time, it's not.

Maybe hot could be replaced by bringing you to those. I mean, if it's "hot" wouldn't it be up there in recent replied or most viewed?
this is true. there are some things going on mobile that I didn't realize... 🤔 oi... got some work to do.

Here's what I'm gonna do... Let me play with the mobile menu, and see if moving it up the line where its visible makes any difference at all in views/posts etc. and I'll move the date back to the end of Sept to watch....

GP403

Administrator
Site Admin
Feb 25, 2005
Rolla, MO
weeeelllll I have some bad news. Looking at ways to streamline and further improve performance, and it looks like the groups are on the way out.

What I'm gonna do, is remove the *links* to stuff from the menu/sidebar, etc. for now. Everything will still be there, accessible via /groups/ until I figure out a good way to get that content moved over into the regular forums (has to be a way...)

I mean, here's the stats for ALL the groups since July 1st. Apart from the one day I freaked everyone out before about ditching them.

.07% of all page views.... yep, its gonna go.

If you really want to be safe you can go ahead and save the stuff just for yourself, I will not delete it until its either dropped (the off-topic groups for example) or moved into the main nodes....

Apologies but...

Egg GIF

Screen Shot 2021-12-13 at 2.00.35 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-12-13 at 2.01.16 PM.png

blk7gxn

Royal Smart Person
Feb 7, 2019

I agree, the groups are hard to navigate to. A few weeks ago, I had to back door navigate to the aeroback site through media, I must have spent 5 minutes messing around, by time I found it I was pissed and couldn't remember what the heck I wanted to go there in the first place :sneaky::doh::ROFLMAO:

• Haha

GP403

Administrator
Site Admin
Feb 25, 2005
Rolla, MO
wellllll, they're hard to navigate to *now*, which is quite on purpose. But everything is still in there, for now. It's a real low priority for me as long as its still there and working.

rfpowerdude

G-Body Guru
Jul 15, 2013
Palm Bay, Fla
There was a "Groups" section?:ROFLMAO:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor