Dropping tank, removing sender...How easy/hard?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bonnewagon

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
I dropped a lot of tanks. Take it from me- EMPTY it first. Aside from the safety issues gas sloshing around will change the center of gravity when you least expect it and cause you to maybe get hurt. Then be aware that fumes are explosive. The Coast Guard used to say that a cup of gasoline is equal to ten sticks of dynamite in explosive force.

Reactions: 1 users

Tomeal

G-Body Guru
Apr 17, 2016
Clyde,pa
  • Agree
Reactions: 1 user

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
I dropped a lot of tanks. Take it from me- EMPTY it first. Aside from the safety issues gas sloshing around will change the center of gravity when you least expect it and cause you to maybe get hurt.
Heavy tanks can hurt you...….
Weight Shift.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
I did it myself as well but holding even an empty tank in position without a jack will wear your arms out quick. That is coming from a guy that bench presses 300 lbs.

Clearly you need more CrossFit in your life. Just kidding.

I purged the carburated tanks in my cars by pressurizing the tank through the evap line and forcing the fuel back out the main feed line (lowest point). Just plug the return line if there is one.

Also, never get the fuel in your ear. The pain is unreal.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users

Bonnewagon

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
never get the fuel in your ear.
I'm not even going to speculate how that happened, as I'm sure that was not the only area doused in gas. Don't pull a Richard Pryor!

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
I'm not even going to speculate how that happened, as I'm sure that was not the only area doused in gas. Don't pull a Richard Pryor!

Changing a stock fuel filter on a Grand National and poor head positioning. Lesson learned.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor