Drumming up a little business

Status
Not open for further replies.

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
If you have been following my misadventures on the What did you do to..... threads, you will have notice that I am dealing with my rear brakes on the 85. As I noted elsewhere, what I found for brake drums was a mismatched set consisting of one being marked "Made in Argentina" and the other being a "No Name", that is not being stamped with a country of origin at all. Both appear to be good castings and well made and finished. My question to this thread is this:

Does anyone know if the Argentines are still manufacturing brake drums for sale to aftermarket suppliers for GM applications?

As a odd couple, Oscar and Felix, these drums have to be at least 10 years old or older. The source from whom I procured them uses a bulk order method and accesses multiple suppliers so from batch to batch they don't really know where their product came from or who fabricated it. Globalism means the label could say made in USA but the small print half obscured at the bottom of the label could easily qualify that statement by acknowledging "from globally sourced components". So it becomes a crap shoot about just where a product has been made.

I do wish to be clear about one point here, I would greatly prefer the contents and the label to agree and both to say "Made In America" This might, however, be a case of pie in the sky and hen's teeth to eat it with, as far as reality goes. Even most of the high reputation names in the brake field now seem to have migrated off-shore in the name of low cost (And low to mediocre quality). back to the Argentines.

If they are still in the business, who is carrying their product as a line and where are they located? E-Bay motors??

Appreciate any and all feedback on this. Not a need to have it by yesterday issue but important to me as a matter of quality none the less. Thanks.

Nick

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor