dual batteries underhood

Status
Not open for further replies.

87gbody

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 25, 2009
I was looking at the area directly opposite of the battery and it looks like the perfect spot for another battery. I'm sure it has been done before, any advice on relocating that canister thing?

dan2286

Royal Smart Person
Mar 25, 2008
Cleveland, Ohio
I am pretty sure that you can break off some tabs and it will hold the battery perfectly. As for the canister, I have no idea.

srercrcr

G-Body Guru
Jun 19, 2006
San Antonio, Texas
Some Gs have the battery on the passenger side.....you could use a factory setup under it. Not sure why you want another battery though. Got spare cash?

billyjack

Master Mechanic
Mar 27, 2009
Western PA
A 2-battery setup was used on the diesel-powered models. If you really need 2 batteries, I would consider trunk mounting. Hanging the extra weight of a 2nd battery on the front will definitely be a detriment in handling. JMO
Bill

adumb

Master Mechanic
Jun 10, 2007
Western, NY
when relocating my canister, i found that it fit very nicely in the garbage. :twisted:

87gbody

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 25, 2009
srercrcr said:
Some Gs have the battery on the passenger side.....you could use a factory setup under it. Not sure why you want another battery though. Got spare cash?

I have a pretty big stereo and already upgraded the alternator. and no not really haha.

billyjack said:
A 2-battery setup was used on the diesel-powered models. If you really need 2 batteries, I would consider trunk mounting. Hanging the extra weight of a 2nd battery on the front will definitely be a detriment in handling. JMO
Bill

There is no room in my trunk because of the hydraulics....that being said, handling isn't a concern either.

worms442

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 14, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
Its Possible by removing canister and placing somewhere else then taking a blade and removing the plastic that holds the canister in place and battery will fit perfectly.

Highly suggest you get the Grounds facing out towards fenders.

Photo0264.JPG

Phoenyx

Royal Smart Person
Jun 27, 2007
Alberta, Canada
Maybe you just need a better battery. Like one of those Optima.

Or, since your car is a lowrider. If you have buckets you could make a custom console and make a compartment for the battery under the console's armrest area.

dedub

Greasemonkey
Aug 18, 2008
N.C. Fort Bragg
Don't trash your canister. IMO it's an important piece of your fuel delivery and prevents vapor lock. If you pull it and leave the hose, your engine compartment will fill with fumes and always smell like gas. If you plug it, it is possible that the tank will not take in air to replace fuel being used. In addition, most G bodies have a PVC leading to the canister and the carb to pull extra vapors. Some might disagree but I personally would not delete it all together.

madmaxstyle

Greasemonkey
Jul 21, 2009
Alberta
I took my 2nd battery 'holder' out of a 1980 Olds and put it into an 82 Caballero, it has holes drilled on either side so its reversible. and the fenders already have the holes pre drilled on both sides

As for the canister, mine went a.w.o.l and it was all plugged up anyways.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor