Dual Exhaust

Status
Not open for further replies.

81msw79

Master Mechanic
May 5, 2013
roselle park , nj
clone tie pilot, you must not really follow cars at all. summit,jegs,dynomax , and pypes all sell dual exhaust kits.

babyblue78, like sn696 said. swap the tailpipes and the pipes with mufflers around and you should be ready to bolt in.

• Disagree
Reactions: 1 user

81Regal

Royal Smart Person
Apr 5, 2009
Terril Iowa
clone tie pilot, you must not really follow cars at all. summit,jegs,dynomax , and pypes all sell dual exhaust kits.

babyblue78, like sn696 said. swap the tailpipes and the pipes with mufflers around and you should be ready to bolt in.
Those companys do sell the kits but if you read the fine print the kits are labeled for off road use to protect the manufacturer from liability. What the user does with the kit is not the manufacturers responsibility.

• Agree

81msw79

Master Mechanic
May 5, 2013
roselle park , nj
that is because the kits don't include cats. but that being said. they are not discontued as he said they are and yes dual exhaust with dual cats will pass inspection if they pass a sniffer test.

81Regal

Royal Smart Person
Apr 5, 2009
Terril Iowa
A sniffer test there is a possibility of a car passing but if there is a visual test as some states have it will not. There is no kit on the market that comes with the dual cats I believe that is why clone tie pilot says it is a discoed kit.

• Agree

Babyblue78

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 21, 2015
A sniffer test there is a possibility of a car passing but if there is a visual test as some states have it will not. There is no kit on the market that comes with the dual cats I believe that is why clone tie pilot says it is a discoed kit.
Ok guys i really am greatfull for all your info. But does anyone have pics of where to weld the hangers at. That would be GREAT!

bishop gp

Greasemonkey
Jan 1, 2015
Evansville,IN
On the back by each tail pipe and up close to the front by the cats there should be evidence of where they were mounted if you look at the pipe close enough

79 USA 1

Royal Smart Person
Sep 2, 2011
Cheektowaga, New York
The system on my 79 & 88 Monte Carlos came out of Toque Tech. They have a hanger located after the muffler then one at the end of the tail pipes. Looking at your last picture you could run a standard "universal" hanger at the back of the muffler and tail pile connection and anchor it in the frame kick up before the axle. As for the end of the tailpipes a short universal hanger can be located under one of the bumper attachment bolts then clamped to the pipe to give support. The pictures below are from my 88 Monte Carlo SS using GM's hangers modified to the Torque Tech pipes.

Attachments

• P1011703-1.JPG
    P1011703-1.JPG
    122.4 KB · Views: 260
  • P1011648-1.JPG
    P1011648-1.JPG
    141.5 KB · Views: 255

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
that is because the kits don't include cats. but that being said. they are not discontued as he said they are and yes dual exhaust with dual cats will pass inspection if they pass a sniffer test.

I was talking about the OP's, twin cat dual exhaust as currently available dual exhaust kits for g bodies lack cats and are labeled for off road use only, such as a track only car. I thought that was understood but perhaps I wasn't clear enough.

Even with dual cats, a dual exhaust would still be illegal unless the car originally came stock with dual exhaust form the factory (like a cop car), or it was retrofitted in before 1990, which would be grandfathered. However you will need proof it is grandfathered otherwise you will be forced to change it back to stock. This is why you do not see twin cat dual exhausts available for g bodies anymore but plenty of cat less off road dual exhausts. There just isn't a point to make twin cat dual exhaust for these cars which came with split exhausts at best. In my state, they drive the cars over floor mounted cameras to view the exhaust system on a monitor.

Scroll down to question 7: http://www2.epa.gov/sites/production/files/documents/exhsysrepair.pdf

Read the second and thrid questions in this list: http://www.montecarloss.com/SS_FAQ_11.html

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor