Dual Exhaust

Status
Not open for further replies.

ONE EYE

Greasemonkey
Aug 24, 2006
in front of the computer...
not that it concers the transmission crossmember, but i have a tip for the left side pipe for el caminos.

i did the modified factory crossmember and for tail pipes (i was SOO broke at the time) i used the exhaust that i took off my fathers 91 caprice. it was 2 1/2" with flowmasters. i used from the mufflers back and it fit PERFECT. i actually had to cut 2" or so off the tail pipes.

just a note for people that are trying to do an exhaust on a low budget.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
ONE EYE said:
i used the exhaust that i took off my fathers 91 caprice. it was 2 1/2" with flowmasters. i used from the mufflers back and it fit PERFECT. i actually had to cut 2" or so off the tail pipes.

just a note for people that are trying to do an exhaust on a low budget.

I bet your father was shocked the next time he started up his caprice.... :lol:

betsy84

Greasemonkey
Nov 27, 2005
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Thanks pontiacgp, I do know about the MTO guys, if you're running gutted or altered or whatever cats, they hit it with a heat gun, so it's no use unless its for regular pigs. I'm actually gonna put cats on it, as I dont like the sound of the car without them. And I think I'm loosing gas milage due to less backpressure causing me to gas it more to compensate. So thanks for the tips, I agree, 400$ ticket is not worth it. Anyone without cats, might as well get some highflows and save yourself some headaches.
Chris

mrapii

Greasemonkey
Jan 5, 2006
Waipahu, HI
Exhaust systems do not require backpressure, in fact any back pressure is restrictive and will be detrimental to power and fuel economy. It is possible to have a exhaust system that is too large. If the exhaust is too large for the amount of exhaust gases produced by the engine the exhaust gases will cool and the velocity of the gases thru the exhaust system will decrease.

ONE EYE

Greasemonkey
Aug 24, 2006
no, i took it cause he replaced it with all walker replacement for an IMPALA SS and he also put LT1 headers on.

so after i argued with him for three days on the fact that he moved the bottle neck further away from the engine (took off stock manifolds, high flow cats and 2 1/2" exhaust and replaced it with hooker headers and 2 1/4" exhaust with walker cats and 2 1/4" flowmasters)

i just gave up and took his mufflers and tail pipes. two weeks after that, he took the dual exhaust off and put on stock replacement single and sold the car.

THEN he gave the walker tail pipes away, and sold the ONE WEEK OLD walker cats and HOOKER headers to the kid that bought his caprice for *CHOKE* $100.

i am still rubbing that one in.
something about more money than brains...... lol

383Camino

Master Mechanic
Mar 1, 2006
South Dakota
My dad built me a crossmember. All the headers I found (except Hooker Super Comps) have the left collector situated lower (about an inch or so). So once you have a nice crossmember, the exhaust still hangs down on that side a lil bit.

ONE EYE

Greasemonkey
Aug 24, 2006
i'm pretty sure they hang down on the drivers side for the crossmember reason. why not try an early 80's camaro header on the drivers side?

Chevyman85

G-Body Guru
Oct 25, 2006
Bonney Lake, WA
I'm running dual 3" exhaust on my El Camino. To get the driver's side to fit I had the exhaust shop cut and weld in a gap for the pipe. They made a 4" semi-circle. It works great and it cost me about $25 for the labor. It seemed easier and more economical than buying a whole new support. Here's a shot of it.

492097_120_full.jpg

383Camino

Master Mechanic
Mar 1, 2006
South Dakota
Yeah, maybe a Camaro header might fit. I can say from experience that a '70 Chevelle header will not fit. But I later found they go right on a '73-'87 Chevy C-10 2WD!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor