Duals....X pipe vs H pipe

Status
Not open for further replies.

SupremeSpeed

G-Body Guru
Sep 29, 2016
GA
OK I'm looking at going with an H pipe exhaust system. I've heard great things about this set up, especially with an Olds V8 engine. We all have opinions, but I would like to hear what some of you think are the best. Also please post pics or videos of your exhaust
Screenshot_2016-10-07-03-58-12-1.png Screenshot_2016-07-28-03-55-30-1.png

Last edited:

SupremeSpeed

G-Body Guru
Sep 29, 2016
GA
:wax:
That a real nice set up.Man that looks good. I thought duals would always make better performance. That's great information. So how do they sound? I love that classic muscle car sound.
Is that support braces on the frame. That is wicked! OK that helps from twisting the frame? I know this sounds like a dumb question, but would that same concept work for a lifted g body? I mean would help will chassis rolling? I having complications during a deep turn. It feels like the car wants to roll over, but I never take a deep turn a high speed. Any suggestions would help.

lilbowtie

Comic Book Super Hero
Jan 7, 2006
Canton Mi
The only vid I have is when we were testing launch rpms - one is from idle and the other @ 2600. Maybe you seen the vid I posted recently from an in car go-pro. Sway bars frt & rear hope you have them + your at a high center of gravity.

SupremeSpeed

G-Body Guru
Sep 29, 2016
GA
I'm currently going through my suspension, but all I have is the stock suspension, and what mods I've made. Your car is very responsive. Looks good on the strip.

SupremeSpeed

G-Body Guru
Sep 29, 2016
GA
Thanks for your opinion Autonaut. I've read some threads. The majority agrees that H pipe have the classic deep growl, while the X pipe has more of a rumble like late model cars. To the X pipe advantage, those same threads, said the X pipe is preferred for maximum hp, while th H pipe is preferred for torque. I can't confirm nor deny, but I do love that classic sound.

autonaut

Greasemonkey
Feb 22, 2014
I have had both x and h on 2 different el caminos.. The H was a 305 engine putting out 230hp at the crank. Sounded godly with unkown flowmasters on.

The x was a 350 with 320hp. It didnt sound nearly as good. But i used hooker aero chamber flowthrough mufflers on that one so that also changes things some.

But my conclusion was that from now on i'll stick to H pipes and chambered mufflers. Much more muscle sound. The x was more raspy and high pitch. And more drone'i(

Reactions: 1 user

autonaut

Greasemonkey
Feb 22, 2014
Fron the sound alone the 305 sounded like a faster car although it would get stomped by the 350 in a race..

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor