Dud: Jeg's 2004R Crossmember

Status
Not open for further replies.

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
Jeg's product line has not withstood the test of time. It's made of 1-1/2" by 2" tube. The 700-R4 crossmember I bought from them 8 years ago was 1-1/2" x 2-1/2". The 200-4R crossmember cannot be bolted into my Malibu. No, it's not that I am missing the the frame extension. The arch on the driver's side for the exhaust is so badly designed/executed, plus the straight segment is welded on crooked. It almost looks like the assembler swapped the arches driver/passenger. No amount of dimpling will let this POC clear the floorpan. My bushings are factory, but not an inch and half low. The 700-R4 crossmember bolted right in, no issues.

Looking at Summit's 770303, for twice the price. With luck, Jeg's will take this back. Return shipping will suck.

Anyone have good/bad luck with the Summit part?

Attachments

• DSCN5812.JPG
    DSCN5812.JPG
    343.5 KB · Views: 793
  • DSCN5784.JPG
    DSCN5784.JPG
    419.1 KB · Views: 1,863

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
G-force from Summit... no issues here with the general fitment of the 700-4R unit in an early framed car.

79MaliCrazz

G-Body Guru
Nov 6, 2010
Lake Wylie,SC
G-Force 100%

1bad79

Royal Smart Person
Dec 3, 2011
Allendale mi
I brought home some tube and im going to build one myself the g force one looks good in the pics but I think I can build that for almost free with what I have laying around my shop and work

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
That's quite a noticeable difference between the two pics. It sucks that it hits the floor pan. I've heard both stories...some fit well and others, people complained that they had to tweak the floor in order to clear the cross member.

I have an older Iceman unit that will go in when I'm ready to install my 200-4R. He no longer makes that style due to some legal issues with G-Force.

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
I agree that I could make that as well. Shipping that much steel is also silly. Jack, from your signature line and your story, that crossmember is meant for a TH400/200-4R. How would your conscience feel about tracing out a pattern from your crossmember and sharing it with the Forum? From the picture, I will guess that the (taller) passenger side arch is on the left. I bet there is no more $60 of steel in there. $60 in steel, $60 in design (amortized over X products), and $60 in labor, $80 profit split between the manufacturer and Summit...

Last edited:

1bad79

Royal Smart Person
Dec 3, 2011
Allendale mi
after seeing that pic of the iceman one the tubing I brought home almost looks the same, it was an over head guard from a forklift at one time should be beefy enough

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
I agree with you gents. I bought a G Force unit, and after seeing it in person, I decided to build my own with some modifications for my particular application. I went a step further and fabricated a two piece driveshaft loop and welded it to the crossmember as well. The loop is just barely visible through the floor in the last pic.
image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Reactions: 2 users

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
The center section looks like 1-1/2 x 3" tube, the outers look like 1x3 tube, and the arches are 3/8" 3 x 8 C channel?

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
The center section looks like 1-1/2 x 3" tube, the outers look like 1x3 tube, and the arches are 3/8" 3 x 8 C channel?
You're correct on everything but the C channel. It's actually 3/8" flat stock that was formed for me in a heavy duty press by a local industrial fab shop. I had them leave the "ends" long so I could cut to fit.

The driveshaft safety loop was an unused universal style Lakewood piece I had laying around. I cut off the sides, welded up the extra holes, and welded it to the crossmember in a triangulated fashion with some 1/4" x 1 1/2" flat stock. The two halves of the loop still bolts together with the top part removable so I can drop the crossmember if need be without having to yank the driveshaft and dump all the transmission fluid. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor