Duel exhaust rear OEM bracket

Status
Not open for further replies.

57 Handyman

Master Mechanic
Feb 6, 2017
I'm installing a Pypes header back system on my 87 El Camino. Originally, this car came with a single exhaust which exited behind the passenger rear wheel well. My exhaust system will exit behind both rear wheel wells. Below is a picture of the driver's side OEM bracket that attaches to the rear side of the spring tower. The other end of the hanger holds up the driver's side of the transverse mounted muffler.

20200823_155407[1].jpg

My question is did GM have a similar bracket for the passenger side for dual exhaust equipped G bodies? There are bolt holes in the frame for a bracket on the passenger rear spring tower. Thank you for whatever information you may be able to provide.

spidereyes455

G-Body Guru
Mar 6, 2013
Northeastern PA
They did have special hangers for dual exhaust cars. Not available new as far as I'm aware though they won't be required with the pypes system. It should use the same type as pictured below from a hooker kit. They have rubber bushings on either side and you have to drill a hole in the bottom of the frame rail.
20200824_184317.jpg
20200824_184322.jpg

Reactions: 1 users

spidereyes455

G-Body Guru
Mar 6, 2013
Northeastern PA
It will probably also use hangers like this at the back of the mufflers. Pic is right from pypes site.
F144757653.jpg

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

57 Handyman

Master Mechanic
Feb 6, 2017
Thanks Spidereyes, my tailpipes do have the L brackets. I am trying to avoid drilling holes into the frame. Hoping someone can tell me IF the passenger side bracket does exist.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor