Dumb yoke question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wagon1979

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 15, 2017
Built plenty of motors, but I have never replaced a transmission before. Well, that's what I'm doing now and I need help replacing the yoke. I don't see c-clips or bolts like on others. How to I remove this U-Joint?

Here is a picture I found on the forum, it looks exactly like mine.

Attachments

• yoke.jpeg
    yoke.jpeg
    871.2 KB · Views: 170

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
Do you see the small round spots on the sides of where the U joint caps are?

Those are where plastic was injected into the yoke (into an internal groove) to hold the caps in. Replacement involves heating the yoke until the nylon stops "worming" out of the holes, then press out the joint. The replacement joints will come with clips to retain the caps in the yoke

• Agree
  • Creative
Reactions: 1 users

axisg

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 17, 2007
YYZ
although I do my own its a PIA. For the extra $40 to $50 that a driveline shop would charge it may be worth it to have them change them out and balance at the same time.

ed1948

Royal Smart Person
Aug 6, 2016
Quinte West, Ontario
Youtube has informative DIY vids. Watch for the mini explosion of the bearing as they heat up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor