dying seats sem. questions pmd bucket seats

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grandprixpaul

Master Mechanic
Mar 27, 2011
Commerce township , mi
Scored a set of pmd seats for a 100 dollars . No tears but needs to be cleaned a but and the foam is depressed on the side boosters . Also they have been died before. I'm going to dye them back to the blue of my interior with sem. Any suggestions if anyone has done that to their seats.

Attachments

• 20140915_225418.jpg
    20140915_225418.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 1,311

clean8485

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 18, 2005
Ontario, Canada
I think that there may be some info on this site about dying seat fabric, if you search a bit. I had a better look at the photo that you posted. They're nice seats, but you're right about the foam collapsing a bit. You might want to check with an upholstery shop before you re-dye the seats, and see if anything can be done to repair the foam first.

L.A.X-RATED

Royal Smart Person
Aug 25, 2010
great score! these or the newer gp buckets are all i would put in a gp if i had one(sorry he gbody gp just does NOT appeal to me)dont know about where you are at,but here in my neck of the hood,you can get them seats recovered,both for 300.00 bucks,with foam replaced,fixed.sem is great,but i dont know if id use it on seats.

82GPLJ455

Greasemonkey
Jul 26, 2014
ma.
I use SEM products alot.i havent seen an interior dye other than the interior paint for plastic.if thats what you are looking at,dont use it on fabric.friend of mine used it on his door panel fabric,it turned hard and stiff when dried.

Nice seats for sure.my 82 has them nice and comfy,better looking than the normal buckets.too bad you dont have the matching rear seat.

Evan11

Royal Smart Person
Apr 17, 2009
Southern Indiana
This is how I'd do it, others may differ:

I would power wash them clean and let them set out in the sun and dry for a few days. I would then clean them off with wax and grease remover or mineral spirits to get all the dirt off that you can. I would then spray a light coat of adhesion promoter on the seats. (SEM sells it as of many others) Let the promoter set about 30 mins before you start spraying the paint. When you're ready to paint them, spay several VERY light coats; lighter the better. Go about 5-10 minutes in between coats. Once you're almost satisfied, make your last coat a blending coat, dusting the entire seat lightly to even everything out. Make sure you have plenty of paint and don't cake it on or your seats will be stiff as a board. Once they've dried for a day or two, you can then run a brush over the seats to soften the seats up. I've used a cat hair brush before.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor