Dying your interior panels with a spray can

H2O gbodies

Apprentice
May 2, 2009
I have a local paint shop mix my dye cans. Tethered are quite a few "resins" that vary the level of glossiness. What you want is a medium gloss resin additive to give it a fresh factory look. I just re-did the interior in my 86K10 Silverado and its a dead match colorwise. I prep my plastics with Dawn dishsoap and comet. Best paint prep I've ever used.

skulledmonte84

Master Mechanic
Feb 7, 2014
near Clearfield pa
may have to try this i just wonder how dark colored seats dark grey,black,etc would look like dyed in burgundy ?would it be too dark ,or what ?anyone do it ?

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
Ive sprayed black reproduction panels in SEM light blue and they matched the other parts that were light blue before I redid them. Multiple light coats.

tc1959

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 23, 2009
Surprise AZ.
Did all mine with SEM and SEM adhesion promoter. Scrubbed everything with dish soap and red Scotch Brite

Attachments

• 1916907_1517325901537_335496_n.jpg
    1916907_1517325901537_335496_n.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 612
  • 002-9.jpg
    002-9.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 642
Reactions: 1 user

mofoyaknow

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 21, 2014
Portland, OR
I'm also doing an entire interior repaint / color from GPs 85 grey/ blue to satin black, so far I've learned patience is key, giving time to prep correctly (degreasing) and allowing coats to cure is vital for long lasting paint that won't chip...also one thing I'll add to what the others said they've used that has helped is using an adhesive promoter before primer after cleaning. This will give a better bonding between paint and plastic. I used vinyl specific paint for the vinyl and plastic paint fo the plastic.

Reactions: 1 user

mofoyaknow

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 21, 2014
Portland, OR
I'm also doing an entire interior repaint / color from GPs 85 grey/ blue to satin black, so far I've learned patience is key, giving time to prep correctly (degreasing) and allowing coats to cure is vital for long lasting paint that won't chip...also one thing I'll add to what the others said they've used that has helped is using an adhesive promoter before primer after cleaning. This will give a better bonding between paint and plastic. I used vinyl specific paint for the vinyl and plastic paint fo the plastic.
I painted my door panels with VHT vinyl spray, color satin black. Maybe it`s now too shiny,

I also changed to satin black interior and I finished off with a satin clear top coat to set it in and bring down some of the glare...

wonderboy24

Royal Smart Person
Jul 10, 2012
Davenport, Iowa
i as well painted my interior. i used SEM but used a gun. went from dark blue to black. used low luster for factory shine
IMAG0079.jpg

Reactions: 1 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor