Master Mechanic
Sep 17, 2010
Brantford, Ontario, Canada
facebook-20160312-084321.png facebook-20160312-083818.png

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I did my entire interior with SEM paint, the dash was dark gray and the center console dark blue and are now Landau Black and most of the other interior panels were light gray and are now Camel and I also coated everything with a few coats of SEM low luster clear for protection.

Reactions: 1 user

carnell

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 28, 2015
Wisconsin
what is sem short for and do you prime it first ?and do need a clear coat . will it chip how many coats of sem will i need?thanks

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
what is sem short for and do you prime it first ?and do need a clear coat . will it chip how many coats of sem will i need?thanks

Typical prep requires thorough cleaning and SEM has vinyl and plastic cleaners that work well and once it is clean you want to use an adhesive promoter and then spray light coats until you get nice even coverage the amount of coats will depend what color the base material is and after that use a few coats of SEM clear for protection, I prefer low luster because I don't want too much shine especially on the dash.
SEM is very durable if applied correctly and also paint in a very well lit area so you can see how well it is covering.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

oldmansmonte

G-Body Guru
Oct 29, 2010
Buffalo, NY
I did my entire interior with SEM paint, the dash was dark gray and the center console dark blue and are now Landau Black and most of the other interior panels were light gray and are now Camel and I also coated everything with a few coats of SEM low luster clear for protection.

I like those switches you mocked up in what was the heat vent.

carnell

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 28, 2015
Wisconsin
Typical prep requires thorough cleaning and SEM has vinyl and plastic cleaners that work well and once it is clean you want to use an adhesive promoter and then spray light coats until you get nice even coverage the amount of coats will depend what color the base material is and after that use a few coats of SEM clear for protection, I prefer low luster because I don't want too much shine especially on the dash.
SEM is very durable if applied correctly and also paint in a very well lit area so you can see how well it is covering.
Thanks that is helpful

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor