Dynomat above headliner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Canon_Mutant

Royal Smart Person
Aug 15, 2015
I am putting in a new gbodyparts headliner and I have enough extra Dynomat to do the roof above it.

Anyone done this or just a bad idea?

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
I plan on using boom mat (same difference) when i get to the interior portion of my build.....i wouldn't recommend covering the whole roof though.
They say 50% coverage is sufficient and the adhesive is rated for vertical(doors) and upside down adhesion on the roof. Maybe cut 12x12 squares and space them some to not have too much weight in one area.
I would suggest getting a hard roller if you don't have one to ensure the backing makes good contact across the pieces...and maybe even using some high strength/high heat spray adhesive just for added peace of mind. I know the boom mat i have is heavy, and sure the dynomat is similar....definitely wouldn't want it falling or sagging since it's a process to install/remove the headlier!

I'm sure someone here has used it on the roof and has the pros/cons to share....i would like to hear as well.

Reactions: 1 user

SoFloG

Royal Smart Person
Mar 9, 2016
South Florida
What kind? I've really only liked dynamat xtreme, or ***, or any metal lined deadener. I know if you lay it down correctly with roller and heat gun if necessary you shouldn't have any clearance issues. Just avoid the framing or corners of clearance is a concern. Deadener is basically just for long flat panels to reduce resonance anyway.

Attachments

• 20160706_191618.jpg
    20160706_191618.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 176

Canon_Mutant

Royal Smart Person
Aug 15, 2015
EDIT: It is Dynomat Extreme . . .

Thanks, truthfully I am not sure yet how to even install the new liner?? It is a preassembled ABS headliner from Gbodyparts. No instructions. It "appears" this thing is supposed to be stiff enough to stay up without adhesive. Just sits above the trim with the help of the clips? Then just curious what some dynomat between it and the metal would actually do?

I am pulling the carpet to rewire the updated sound system and will dynomat that and a little in the trunk. Probably should have put this over in my build thread but didn't know where it belonged . . .???

SoFloG

Royal Smart Person
Mar 9, 2016
South Florida
The headliner will stay up with the trim panels, visors, and dome light. .. bend it slightly in the middle long ways and slide the back in first.

• Agree
  • Informative
Reactions: 1 users

Kwik_Cutty88

Royal Smart Person
Nov 22, 2011
Coastal North Carolina
When I did the sunroof in my car this summer, I removed all the factory deadening above the sunroof pan. I didnt add any new stuff either. I was thinking "ah, added weight, I can go without." Bad choice. That stuff does make a difference.

Reactions: 1 user

Canon_Mutant

Royal Smart Person
Aug 15, 2015
Yup, dynomat stuck to the sheetmetal, then just slide in the preformed abs liner below it. Put on the trim, clips, dome light assy [I think?].

Just didn't know if it was a waste of time or worthwhile?

Canon_Mutant

Royal Smart Person
Aug 15, 2015
BTW, my New Year's resolution is to get my worthless A$$ out of bed and get back to my build thread. Lupus has been kicking my butt for over 2 months . . . but, hey, I am [still] breathing. That's a start . . . :)

I've had the rear end dropped for over 2 months to take it to town for the blast and coat and haven't touched it since.

Reactions: 2 users

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
BTW, my New Year's resolution is to get my worthless A$$ out of bed and get back to my build thread. Lupus has been kicking my butt for over 2 months . . . but, hey, I am breathing. That's a start . . . :)

I've had the rear end dropped for over 2 months to take it to town for the blast and coat and haven't touched it since.
Eh, sh*t happens man! Like you said, at least your breathing!!! I've got numerous exterior parts needing attention, but super busy lately, cold out, and two little girls(well 3 including the wife) to keep happy! Different scenario, but i get it. Give that lupus an *ss whooping, and get after it, we are all pulling for ya!

As far as putting the dynomat up there...its definitely worth it. The factory used deadener in some areas behind the b pillar trim, etc. Seriously, if you put just a few squares up it would make a noticeable difference! I covered my whole trunk floor in boom mat, and intend on doing the interior floor the same way....a few pieces on the roof, and maybe a few in the doors.
I can vouch that it helped a ton in the trunk, and made more of a solid thump after install.
20150328_015339.jpg

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor