E-brake cable ???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doug Chahoy

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 21, 2016
Is there a certain procedure or trick to getting the cable released from the pedal assembly? I’ve been trying for hours with no luck. I’m changing out the pedal assembly because it wouldn’t catch to engage.
9DB36C83-E74E-4624-AD77-39E4111E77D0.jpeg

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
have you removed all the tension on the cable? And what about the release cable, is that binding and preventing the lock mechanism to work?

Doug Chahoy

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 21, 2016
The release cable is disconnected. I loosened the adjustment where the cables are joined underneath in the back seat area. That damn cable in its holder on the pedal assembly won’t budge

Tomeal

G-Body Guru
Apr 17, 2016
Clyde,pa
If the pedal is working and pulling the cable through the sheathing, put the brake on and use pliers or vise grips at the floorboard to hold the excess out. Then release the pedal. That should at least give you some slack in the line.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

Doug Chahoy

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 21, 2016
I’ve been working on this off and on. I’ve gotten everything loose except the pictured cable through the assembly.. I can’t figure out how to get it out. The video went over this process to quickly. Frustrated as all hel-

Doug Chahoy

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 21, 2016
I’ve been working on this off and on. I’ve gotten everything loose except the pictured cable through the assembly.. I can’t figure out how to get it out. The video went over this process to quickly. Frustrated as all hel-
Here’s pic
0F5BE042-71EC-4805-9893-11AACE5B0168.jpeg

WanaBa442

G-Body Guru
Aug 5, 2017
New England
Take a big screwdriver or prybar, and wedge it in the lower slot below the keyhole where the cable end goes thru when installing.
Basically you want to open up that slot and create some room inside to get the "pinch" off the cable and end.
Then you should be able to push it up, and out thru the hole, provided you have enough slack in the cable as noted above.
Or, cut the sumbitch off there and pull the pedal assy out on excise the demon end out of the holder (sounds like alot more work....)

Too late, just was your last pic. Mine just has a horseshoe clip holding the cable to the pedal assy.
You may have to loosen the pedal assy bolts and allow the thing to rotate to get the cable end thru the hole, not alot of leeway there,

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
put a hose clamp around clip and tighten the hose clamp till the clip collapses, realease thehose clamp and the cable can be removed....when you look at it it should clear what you need to do and like the guy says in the video...easy peasy...the worst part is if you don't have the car on a lift it's no fun working on your knees with your head stuck under the dash. If I am doing work under the dash for any length of time I remove the driver's seat to give me some room

Reactions: 2 users

Tomeal

G-Body Guru
Apr 17, 2016
Clyde,pa
If your changing the pedal assembly, it may be worthwhile to undo the pedal to give you more room to figure out how to tackle it.

• Agree
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor