E-Brake cables for disc brake conversion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

vandyman

Apprentice
Jul 16, 2017
I have a 86 Monte that I put a Quick performance 9 inch ford read in. I installed the rear with the disc brake conversion kit.
The stock E-Brake cables have a spring that I cut off because the cable would not fit with the spring. But now both cables are about 3" to long.
Is there an after market cable set that i can use or any ideas to use what I have.

THX, vandyman

Reactions: 1 user

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
can't suggest cause the type of rear calipers are unknown to the world.... :popcorn:

vandyman

Apprentice
Jul 16, 2017
can't suggest cause the type of rear calipers are unknown to the world.... :popcorn:
They look like the Right stuff brand conversion kit, I guess I will have to call QP.
I thought I seen where someone on here had the same issue but there was not conclusion to the outcome.

vandyman

Apprentice
Jul 16, 2017
Okay, I have found some cable ferrules on Amazon that I am going to try.
I will post some pics in a couple days with a before and after incase someone else has the same issue.

Reactions: 1 users

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I would find out the brand of calipers cause when it comes to the time to change them you want to be able to get a caliper that will fit

Doug Chahoy

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 21, 2016
When I got my QP 9 inch, I got it with 2 000 Camaro era housing ends. I don’t understand why you cut the cables. I only had to make brackets to hold the cable in place, then bought 2 of the notched C clips for the attachment on the E brake.

Reactions: 2 users

vandyman

Apprentice
Jul 16, 2017
When I got my QP 9 inch, I got it with 2 000 Camaro era housing ends. I don’t understand why you cut the cables. I only had to make brackets to hold the cable in place, then bought 2 of the notched C clips for the attachment on the E brake.
The stock E-brake cable has a plastic end on the cable casing that snaps in place on the disc bake caliber. (square hole on one side of the setup).
Than there is about 4" - 5" to the actuator lever where the cables lead ball is suppose to go. Now the Cable its self after the casing has a spring that is to long and binds up
with this setup. I cut the spring to get it to fit on the lever and it fits, but now there is to much cable slack. in turn I thought that I just could adjust the cable tighter.
I will take a picture of the setup in the morning so everyone can see what I have.

NOTE: The QP 9" rear has the newer big ford ends ..

THX.

Reactions: 1 users

Doug Chahoy

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 21, 2016
The stock E-brake cable has a plastic end on the cable casing that snaps in place on the disc bake caliber. (square hole on one side of the setup).
Than there is about 4" - 5" to the actuator lever where the cables lead ball is suppose to go. Now the Cable its self after the casing has a spring that is to long and binds up
with this setup. I cut the spring to get it to fit on the lever and it fits, but now there is to much cable slack. in turn I thought that I just could adjust the cable tighter.
I will take a picture of the setup in the morning so everyone can see what I have.

THX.
I didn’t want the hassles of using F—d brakes.

moby92

Apprentice
Mar 27, 2017

THX.
That explains it. We might need to do the disk brake conversion for the car. We'll just finish installing the brake kit and off road wheels on the truck this week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor