e85 conversion

Status
Not open for further replies.

tewell86

n00b
Oct 31, 2012
Hey everyone this is my first post here so I should probably provide a little background info on my car before I jump to my questions!

1986 Monte Carlo SS
355 sbc, vortec truck heads, edelbrock air gap intake, 750 edelbrock carb, hooker comp headers
200-4R transmission built with a lot of parts from Extreme Automatics thanks to Lonnie for a lot of help
3500 BTE lock up converter
8.5" 10 bolt with Eaton posi and 4.10 gears
411876_10151050836601885_499410415_o.jpg

e97c74de.jpg

8cd4f168.jpg

This car is my weekend warrior as I bracket race every weekend the midwest weather allows me to. My local track is only about 5 miles away, but I do like to travel to other tracks that are anywhere between 50 and 100 miles away. I do not trailer it there either.

My best times so far are a 7.60 @ 90 mph in the 1/8 and 12.14 @ 111 mph in the 1/4

Now to my question!
My car is only 9.8:1 compression ratio so it easily runs on 93 octane pump gas, but I generally see a .07-.1 ET pick up in the 1/8th mile when I run VP or Sunoco 110. The only problem is that its obviously very expensive. Every "big money" bracket race I have attended this year I smell the E85 and it seems to be a majority of the cars left in the later rounds are running this. I can get it easily from a few different stations in my town and the octane boost would hopefully provide a consistent ET like the 110 race fuel does. I am just not sure about the compatibility of my fuel system
I know for sure that I would have to get a new carb and I am looking into buying an HP innovations carb or a QF rebuild kit for an 800 Holley I have at home. My main concerns are my factory tank, factory fuel lines (mainly the rubber parts), my pressure regulater (http://www.summitracing.com/parts/hly-1 ... dia/images) and my mechanical pump (http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-250000-1).

I have seen where someone else is using the exact regulator I have on e85 and their car is for sale on here (viewtopic.php?f=31&t=40521&p=347306&hilit=e85#p347306)

I'm more worred about my pump/tank/lines .. any thoughts?

jrm81bu

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 9, 2008
Antwerp, OH
I would get ahold of Mark Sullens or Eric at Horsepower Innovations for the carb. The tank and lines will most likely be fine but it might clean them out causing the need for a few filter changes. Check out e85performance.net. The guys there should be able to help with most of the compatibility questions.

tewell86

n00b
Oct 31, 2012
jrm81bu said:
I would get ahold of Mark Sullens or Eric at Horsepower Innovations for the carb. The tank and lines will most likely be fine but it might clean them out causing the need for a few filter changes. Check out e85performance.net. The guys there should be able to help with most of the compatibility questions.

I was heavily leaning towards HP Innovations I have only heard good things about them and their customer service. I would like to find someone who has done the swap using the stock tank and lines to see what problems they ran into if any. I will check that forum out thanks for the help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor