Earl Scheib?

Status
Not open for further replies.

averagewhiteboy

Master Mechanic
Jun 7, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
Hey guys.

I was wondering... Has anyone here been Earl Scheib'd? Either their G body or another car? It seemed kinda neat. I mean, i'm doing sanding and stuff like that myself, but i think I'd rather pay someone a little bit to actually paint it. And a few hundred bucks for a paint job seems like a neat idea. Anyone have any experience? Old or new? Good or bad?

8)

edmck82

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 13, 2006
Washington DC
averagewhiteboy said:
No one's used them before??

With MAACO and Earl Scheib I've always been told to slip the guy who actually paints your car $20 so that he takes the time not to overspray. My buddies have all gone down the MAACO/Earl Scheib route and have had some pretty interesting applications.

If I were you I'd find a good local shop and talk price. If your doing all the prep work yourself than spending the extra money would be worth it. Color sanding etc. isn't exactly standard practice with these places nor will they remove trim without a huge price.

Thats not to say you couldn't get a quality job done. The "paint" for my lincoln cost 3X what one of these paint jobs (complete) would.

Best of luck

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
average....anyone who has painted a car can tell you the prep work is the most difficult part of the job...if you don't prime it after you block sand the car you won't see the areas that need to be redone. Paint won't hide any imperfections...if the car doesn't come out the way you expected it's usually not caused by the paint......why not learn how to paint which is not that hard and paint the car yourself.....

firedowg

Apprentice
Oct 16, 2006
Kalamazoo, Michigan
I had a 94 chevy pickup painted last year. I did all the body work down to removing the bumpers and so on. the shop just went over the whole truck to make sure its was good to go. they did a awsome paint job for 1,000$. Just talk to some shop mostly the older shops with good owners with big hearts they will cut the best deals.

firedowg

Apprentice
Oct 16, 2006
Kalamazoo, Michigan
You can also see if they will do it as fill in work when there slow. Like over the winter perhaps. it may take all winter to get it back but you now have a place to store it and a great paint job to go. Thats the way my boss got his 67 camero painted and it is bad A** just a thought.

averagewhiteboy

Master Mechanic
Jun 7, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
I was originally going to do all bodywork and painting myself, but I figured the paint would be simpler to just give it to them for a day and get it back. I was already gonna do the body work and primer myself anyway. But I don't know. Spring will tell all...

Thanks for the input guys!

8)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor