Easiest Kill switch

Status
Not open for further replies.

3XBrownCutty

Royal Smart Person
Mar 20, 2008
NW PA
Just got a plain toggle switch, and was gonna hook up another kill swith and run it into the interior obviously.

What is the best place to wire in that toggle in, and still keep the wiring looking very clean. I was thinking maybe to the starter somehow. Wiring diagram?? Thanks guys.

beermonkey9417

Royal Smart Person
Apr 8, 2007
des plaines, il
my kill switch is a 1/2 inch cresent wrench for disconnecting my battery terminal

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
Under the panel that is below the steering column is a steel bracket that the panel mounts to. It is on the right side, next to the radio. I drill a hole and mount a toggle switch there, pointing towards the e-brake . Then I grab the main harness under the column right off the ignition switch,and pull the purple starter wire, cut it, and splice in the wires to the toggle. On my Bonneville, I cut a small 1" X 1" hole in the under column panel so I could stick my finger up there and flick the switch, kind of like fingering a, err, nevermind.

pmoore4321

Greasemonkey
Dec 10, 2009
Houston, Texas
I just installed my kill switch last night. I used the following diagram:

starter_interrupt.jpg

You will need to modify it slightly by moving the "To Starter Solenoid" wire from the "87a" to the "87" terminal on the relay. Some relays don't have the 87a terminal.

When terminal 85 on the relay is grounded, the car will start. When it's not grounded or open the car will not start.

Ignition.jpg

I tricked mine out and made my switch totally hidden. I used a reed switch glued behind a panel on the console. When a magnet is placed over the reed switch the circuit is closed to ground and the car will start. To kill the starter, I just remove the magnet. Obviously, you could just use a hidden miniture SPST switch instead of the reed switch.

floatwork-1.jpg

reference:
http://www.bfranker.badz28.com/fbody/starterkill.htm

kingcolbert83

G-Body Guru
Mar 26, 2008
The best ones are the ones you dont tell anybody. The less people know about it the less chance they can steal it because they dont know about all the security devices. My kill switch is hidden and you have to remove something to get to it. It still looks stock though with some modifications to fit the switch behind it. I also have removable steering wheel, another kill switch, and hidden gps tracking. This might be overkill but I know I have put alot of work into my car. It can be stolen but I am not gonna let them get it for free and easy.

kingcolbert83

G-Body Guru
Mar 26, 2008
pmoore4321 said:
I just installed my kill switch last night. I used the following diagram:

Relay5.JPG

You will need to modify it slightly by moving the "To Starter Solenoid" wire from the "87a" to the "87" terminal on the relay. Some relays don't have the 87a terminal.

When terminal 85 on the relay is grounded, the car will start. When it's not grounded or open the car will not start.

I tricked mine out and made my switch totally hidden. I used a reed switch glued behind a panel on the console. When a magnet is placed over the reed switch the circuit is closed to ground and the car will start. To kill the starter, I just remove the magnet. Obviously, you could just use a hidden miniture SPST switch instead of the reed switch.

floatwork-1.jpg

reference:
http://www.bfranker.badz28.com/fbody/starterkill.htm

O yea I forgot about this one. I have the instructions also to build a setup like this. I will be installing this in my vehicle too. I wont use all the security devices at one time unless I know I will be gone away from the car for a extended period of time. I was also thinking about adding this to the hood so if somebody tried to gain access to my motor as a additional sensor and have it wired to an car alarm siren.

3XBrownCutty

Royal Smart Person
Mar 20, 2008
NW PA
The best ones are the ones you dont tell anybody. The less people know about it the less chance they can steal it because they dont know about all the security devices... This might be overkill but I know I have put alot of work into my car. It can be stolen but I am not gonna let them get it for free and easy.

Exactly. I'm not asking where to hide it, but just where I could wire one in. I already have one kill switch, but I figured it can't hurt to have 2. My dad thinks I'm crazy for putting one kill switch in even though i told him how easy these cars are to break into. I also plan on getting the removable steering wheel, but I have yet to find a nice, stock looking aftermarket wheel.

shotgun

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2007
Nort o Philly
This will not work if you HEI but I made a dummy coil wire if I needed to leave my car in a questionible area.

Used a piece of thick black vacuum line with "correct" ends glued on.

Just pop off the "real" one put it in your pocket and install the dummy.

That will stop 99% of thieves since time is thier enemy.

FE3X CLONE

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 2, 2009
Ohio
There's a couple of diagrams at http://www.the12volt.com

pasivestarterkill.gif

ampstarterkill.gif

hornstarterkill.gif

Whatever you do, just don't post where you hide the switch are exactly how you do it. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor