Eaton Detroit Truetrac is Made in Taiwan?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Canon_Mutant

Royal Smart Person
Aug 15, 2015
So, I was pumped that I finally got my Eaton Detroit Truetrac and it has "Made in Taiwan" on it.

I've requested this from Eaton as well but anyone know if this is cheap crap steel like most everything else from over there or would they [god forbid] still be required to build to the same hardened standard as when they were made here?

Yeah, I know, everything is made in Mexico or Overseas . . .

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
**Sigh**. They aren't even American anymore. Eaton bought Cooper Industries in 2012, conducted an inversion and is now an Irish company for US tax purposes. Send it back?

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
Keep in mind that in its previous life it might of been made in the USA, scraped in the USA, recycled into the Truetrac made in Taiwan. Bet that price is still a made in USA price.

Qdub24

Royal Smart Person
Sep 6, 2006
Columbus, GA
Why does it matter where it's manufactured? Most of the computers, smart phones, and tablets used to view this forum aren't made in American either?

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
Why does it matter where it's manufactured? Most of the computers, smart phones, and tablets used to view this forum aren't made in American either?
Phone =/= diff.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
I picked up an Eaton limited slip new in the box from Craigslist that had a date stamp of 1999. An oldie but a goodie.

Canon_Mutant

Royal Smart Person
Aug 15, 2015
Other than preferring stuff being made here period, that started stopping [started stopping??] in the 80s which is why these cars are 1/2 metric, 1/2 SAE to begin with. Well mine was. I've already SAE'd everything under the hood along with a few other places when I built the big block and should be almost all SAE when I get all of these suspension/brake/bushing mods done right down to 1/2-20 wheel studs. But, that said, I really don't care where it is made as long as I am not replacing my factory 8.5 junk internals that had less than 28K miles total and less than 4K miles behind the big block with just new junk. You should have seen all the metal filings that came out in the fluid. Any times metal gears and clutches are meshing there will always be some but this thing was NOT going to live long and I had not been that hard on it yet even with the big block power. Should have taken a picture of it. Not exaggerating that, well, picture a level 1 cup measuring cup filled completely. Not looking forward to replacing what I had with something that is going to be the same way in 5000 miles. If it is made AND inspected to hardened steel standards worthy of high performance parts, we should be OK no matter where it's made?

So, 1) to educate anyone considering that they are "made in Taiwan" and 2) I will post Eaton's response if/when I actually get one.

Qdub24

Royal Smart Person
Sep 6, 2006
Columbus, GA
Just wondering why place of origin is thrown around so often on auto forums. Stuff gets worn out and breaks, that's inevitable. Just because something claims to be "made in America", doesn't give me any more belief that it will be a superior product to the same product manufactured elsewhere.

Canon_Mutant

Royal Smart Person
Aug 15, 2015
I suspect those of us that saw high quality American made products move overseas and suddenly we have substandard sheet metal with substandard plating housing cheap crap components watching our customer satisfaction go to crap all in the name of "the bottom line" have more of a problem with it.

That said, if you read what I wrote above, in this new global economy, I am less concerned with where it is made, if it is still made to the same standards? I consider these forums to be informational so that everyone can make up their own minds. As soon as Eaton responds, I will post their response too.

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Wow, a cup full of fillings. As long as Eaton is paying attention to the steel they are using, it will be fine. Contact Brian Trick, 507Olds on ROP and the Classic Olds site. He builds diff's for a living and owns a couple of very stout BTR stroker 455's, so he knows what their big torque is all about.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor