Ebay buyers check you tax charges.

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
:soapbox:With Fleabay enforcing the tax collection they are over charging tax collected. I bought something we been looking for to get for the Jr. Mechanic & noticed what they charged was more than the 6% Pa charges. Ended up they are charging tax on the shipping charges-WTF!?! I doubled checked it and still came up including shipping. I never recall seeing my shipping from anywhere else (from inside or outside of Pa) being taxed. I dug out some invoices from the past year for stuff I've odered for the Monte, what we got for his birthday party in April, nothing. Even looked at the order forms in the newer catalogs to see how they are set up to calculate total cost & they charge taxes before shipping is added. I attempted to talk to someone over the phone but they were usless, couldn't even give me a B.S. line on why they did overcharged, went totally silent when I said the USPS doesn't charge taxes on postage when I ship. It's bad enough they charge 10% on shipping/postage they don't even handle or sell to me when I sell things & now they don't bother to understand each state/commonwealths tax codes as they collect it. What I would do for a Mom & Pop place to do all my buisness with local.:rant:

Doug Chahoy

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 21, 2016
:soapbox:With Fleabay enforcing the tax collection they are over charging tax collected. I bought something we been looking for to get for the Jr. Mechanic & noticed what they charged was more than the 6% Pa charges. Ended up they are charging tax on the shipping charges-WTF!?! I doubled checked it and still came up including shipping. I never recall seeing my shipping from anywhere else (from inside or outside of Pa) being taxed. I dug out some invoices from the past year for stuff I've odered for the Monte, what we got for his birthday party in April, nothing. Even looked at the order forms in the newer catalogs to see how they are set up to calculate total cost & they charge taxes before shipping is added. I attempted to talk to someone over the phone but they were usless, couldn't even give me a B.S. line on why they did overcharged, went totally silent when I said the USPS doesn't charge taxes on postage when I ship. It's bad enough they charge 10% on shipping/postage they don't even handle or sell to me when I sell things & now they don't bother to understand each state/commonwealths tax codes as they collect it. What I would do for a Mom & Pop place to do all my buisness with local.:rant:
Might not quite be a mom and pop place, have you ever heard of Luttys Chevy parts in Cheswick Pa. ? They’ve sold Gbody parts and told me they’d get me anything I’d need. They’re even open Saturdays till noon.

Reactions: 1 user

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
Might not quite be a mom and pop place, have you ever heard of Luttys Chevy parts in Cheswick Pa. ? They’ve sold Gbody parts and told me they’d get me anything I’d need. They’re even open Saturdays till noon.
Been given them my buisness for about 25 years. I try to get what ever I can from them even with that extra 1% county tax.

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
That's probably a by-product of sneaky people avoiding EBay fees by charging $0.99 plus $20 shipping. So EBay started charging fees on the shipping to beat the sneaks. Probably have resorted to the same logic on the taxes as well. That's how we got to today...

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
My buddy had a record shop and he made a good side income on Fleabay. Then on top of the seller fee they started collecting on the shipping. To add insult to injury Pay Poop collects on you collecting money from the buyer. He finally gave up.

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
The biggest gripe I have with EBay is the utter inability to find any decent used car parts when I search beyond the million or so Chinese LED lightbulbs. I quite literally have to set the search up with '-bulb' in the criteria.

Doug Chahoy

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 21, 2016
The biggest gripe I have with EBay is the utter inability to find any decent used car parts when I search beyond the million or so Chinese LED lightbulbs. I quite literally have to set the search up with '-bulb' in the criteria.
I really like Craigslist way around that, they’re “from seller” option. Other wise your looking for a part and all you get are new car adds.

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
I ordered 2 items from Ebay last night. Was charged tax on the items but they both had free shipping so I can't really say about being charged tax on that part.
The flip side to the mom n pop comments above; The reason I went to Ebay is because I tried to shop local on some motorcycle parts. They guy was so proud of his used junk that it cost me just over half to but new on Ebay. Plus, he basically held me hostage at his shop for over an hour because he was such a talker. I was almost to the point of walking out while he was in mid sentence.
Sadly, I've become so antisocial that I prefer to just click and have it sent to my house rather than personally interact with people.

Reactions: 1 users

Doug Chahoy

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 21, 2016
I’ve had different experiences, it’s mostly been good ones compared to dealing with the A-holes I’ve worked with from 15-30 years. I’ve done ALOT of personal buying and selling in the last 3 years. I’ve met some really nice and intersting people. When they come to me to buy theyre impressed with my Elco, when I go to buy it always takes a while because they’re car people. So I make sure I’m not in a hurry when I go. One WEIRD thing is the number of guys I’ve bought from in they’re 50s and 60s are on disability for one reason or another. And usually have multiple cars and projects.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor