Ebay Q-Jet, should I?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
I have the funds to rebuild a qjet atm, and as for my snafu with my previous one and my dad throwing his way by accident, I'v elected to choose this one.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/17057553-Q-...ash=item41b0a349b3:g:TmgAAOSwhOdXoV1G&vxp=mtr

and running the number on this site

http://www.carburetion.com/CarbNumber.asp?Number=17057553

confirms it to be a 77-79 BOP carb. And my carb was from a '78 350 Buick. Would this be ideal? I know the ideal one is one from a 350 Buick and the least ideal is the poopy reman Jet ones and a Chevy Qjet. sh*t for 50$ I can't complain if it opens and closes freely.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
It looks to be in rough shape and listed for parts only, if you can make one good rebuilt carb between that and what is usable off yours then go for it.
I personally would look for one in better shape.

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
It looks to be in rough shape and listed for parts only, if you can make one good rebuilt carb between that and what is usable off yours then go for it.
I personally would look for one in better shape.
Well, my limit is 100$ lol. Out of work at least until my birthday so no cash for the next month. If I can't find anything in my local yards for from one of my buddies I might just have to wing it. Gotta get to school and all.

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
I've saved worse than that. It looks to be intact, just a little rusty from laying around. The right angle fuel elbow says someone tried using it on a Chevy. As long as the guts haven't been removed, it should be a great rebuild candidate. You may want to ask that- see if it's been opened up. The price sure is right. My info pegs it as a 1977 big car Buick 350 carb. Perfect for you. http://www.newagemetal.com/pages/Buick/70-79/pages/70-79Buick0073_jpg.htm

Reactions: 1 user

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
EDIT: I just noticed that one of the ears for the accelerator pump arm is missing. Someone didn't know how to get the pin out so they pried at it and broke it. They used a screw to attach the arm and it is not contacting the pump shaft dead center. Is the air horn you have in better shape? Does it match up to this one exactly? If not- pass.

Reactions: 1 user

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
Hey there Steve, I was just looking at what may be missing and I couldn't figure what would be brass in that spot. Only thing I see bad is that the arm is c*ck eyed on the pump shaft. A better bet would be to use another air horn so if he has one that would be the way to go. Otherwise it looks like a good carb. Also, the only reason to break it was to get inside. So now you don't know what has gone on. Cleaned? Or "hot rodded".

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
the seller of the carb sells boat parts so I'd be worried about the carb being real rusty if it was used in a boat engine

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
Only salt water would mess up a carb, and there's not much salt water in Arizona. I would worry more that someone screwed with it to make it work on an inboard Mercruiser, which are usually Chevy motors. The carb # says '77 big car Buick.

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor