eBay suspension kits

Status
Not open for further replies.

DonRoc

n00b
May 10, 2022
Has anyone ever used one of those eBay front suspension rebuild kits ? My 86 is just a Sunday cruiser so I’m not looking for any performance. Just looking to make its handle better

tkruger

Master Mechanic
May 6, 2015
NY
My issue with eBay is anyone can sell anything. And not everyone makes honoring return policies easy. If the parts in the kit are from a reputable brand then I might go with one. If there is not a listing of what parts / brands are in the kit I would avoid it. Remember there must be a reason that the parts cost so much less. In the past I did by quick strut from eBay. They were genuine Monroe shocks from a parts dealer that happened to also sell on eBay. There where other ones that where cheaper but no name was listed as to who made the shock, would they last a month, year etc.

Even bigger concern when dealing with a part that your safety relies on is was it tested and designed with the safety of you and your car in mind. I would hate to have the part break hitting a pothole at 60 mph.

Reactions: 1 user

gbodytoys

G-Body Guru
May 1, 2014
Detroit, MI
Do you have a link?

I'm with tkruger, brand names from established sellers seems to be a safe bet. The "off brand" stuff, I rather get that from rockauto if I was going to get it at all.

Rt Jam

G-Body Guru
Mar 30, 2020
Ontario Canada
Ebay does not tell us much. You need to know more about the actual vendor.

Handling improvement at a minimum will be higher rate springs, firm shocks and low profile tires. That is the first step in improvement. After that is big money to get to the next level. Control arms, sway bars, quality shock absorbers, performance tires etc.
This is assuming you are starting with a car that is not already worn out like loose ball joints, steering box and worn shocks.

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
Ebay does not tell us much. You need to know more about the actual vendor.

Handling improvement at a minimum will be higher rate springs, firm shocks and low profile tires. That is the first step in improvement. After that is big money to get to the next level. Control arms, sway bars, quality shock absorbers, performance tires etc.
This is assuming you are starting with a car that is not already worn out like loose ball joints, steering box and worn shocks.

First step is to stiffen up the floppy frame and body. Stiffer springs, shocks, and bars just makes the frame flex even more without reinforcement.

I would not trust Ebay kits. The Chinese sell all sorts of garbage on Ebay.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

83MonteCarloSS

Greasemonkey
Oct 5, 2015
Share a link to at least one of the kits you were looking at.

I did luck out getting a deal on a set of rear lower control arms from Hotchkis on eBay, but it was from their store.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor