ECU - Is It Stock or Chipped

Status
Not open for further replies.

ed1948

Royal Smart Person
Aug 6, 2016
Quinte West, Ontario
Here is a pic of my SS's ECU. Is this a stock or 'Performance' chip?
The reason for asking is I'm hearing pre-ignition(pinging) under WOT, timing at 6* BTDC, mid grade gas
P1110963.JPG
P1110966.JPG

ed1948

Royal Smart Person
Aug 6, 2016
Quinte West, Ontario
I have not done a timing advance test. I have a basic timing light and only the factory timing tab. I assume a performance chip would usually have an ID sticker on the chip.
Other causes of ping:
The THERMAC flap functions correctly. I have not verified the HEAT RISER valve functions correctly but it is free. I have not de carboned the combustion chambers - don't know if it's needed - plugs were clean. I tried different fuels. It's not a big deal now considering the driving season is wrapping up.

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
Plugs will tell you almost anything you need to know. Post some pics of all 8, in order (top row 1357, bottom 2468, etc) and we'll go from there. Be sure to take it on a nice long run too, maybe a few miles on the highway.

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan

ed1948

Royal Smart Person
Aug 6, 2016
Quinte West, Ontario
Re: P/N - The pic is from this spring when the car was being re&re'd. Never tried gas higher than 91 oct. rating. I hate to remove the ECU because somebody before me had monkey'd around with the kick panel and it did not line up well at reassembly. I checked the spark plugs last winter and they all looked fairly new and clean.

Maybe this winter I'll install the timing tape on the vibration damper - (the tape I bought 25 years ago but never used).

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
Ummm... I still have all of that cruise control and ECM stuff sitting here in a box. PM me.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I know very little about the ECM, were they programmed differently depending on which car they were installed in?.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor