Edelbrock 1406 on Factory 350 EGR Intake

Status
Not open for further replies.

MegaOlds

Apprentice
May 20, 2014
I've Had an Edelbrock 1406 carb laying around for a while now and since I got the Olds I figured I'd put it to use. I found out that I had to buy edelbrocks q-jet kit so I bought that but the carb won't fit on the intake because of the EGR stuff. :blam: Since this is a 350 conversion, can I safely block off the ports on the left and right side of the intake? :?: Also, the throttle and kick down linkage bracket doesn't work with the new carb. :( Has anyone ran into these issues and/or does anyone have a fix?

Here are some details on the project to help.

Engine: 350 Olds Rocket circa 1977-1980
Carb: Edelbrock Performer 600cfm 1406

jacobdavis1979

G-Body Guru
Feb 18, 2011
I had a car awhile back that had factory egr valve and it was bad. I didnt wanna deal with it so i took it off and put a block off plate it place of it. It seemed to work ok but heres the catch. I got rid of the car about a month later it still ran had no issues but what happend after it was gone im not sure if the guy had problems or not ive seen the car around but that probly dont mean much.

I think removing it would be ok if not for one thing. Does this car have an OBD1 computer? If it does i imagine you will throw a code then start to harm other sensors. Is this a CCC quadrajet?

If so my advice is get an HEI dizzy (if you dont already have one ), block off the EGR port, get the mr gasket or edelbrock adapter plate for the spreadbore intake. Edelbrock also makes a throttle linkage that bolts to the back stud of the edelbrock carb which also comes with a slot for your kick down cable as your Qjet linkage wont work anymore. My advice is get an intake for square bore carb.

But if you got a good Qjet thats the way to go man! Small primaries for gas mileage with the big secondarys for power cant go wrong. Not to mention easier install.

MegaOlds

Apprentice
May 20, 2014
I'm not sure if it has an OBD1 port or not. Came with a quadrajet though.

MegaOlds

Apprentice
May 20, 2014
It does have an OBD1 port but since it was converted over to a 350 engine, most of the connectors and sensors weren't reused. I found most of the sensor cabling was bunched up and zip tied to the firewall.

MegaOlds

Apprentice
May 20, 2014
Also there is an HEI distributor installed as well.

Evan11

Royal Smart Person
Apr 17, 2009
Southern Indiana
Yes, you can block off the EGR ports, simply buy a new EGR gasket and make your own block off plates. Did this on my A4 Olds intake on my 350. The 1406 is a great carb, they're my carb of choice on small blocks. Have one on my C10, F250, as well as my GF's Chevy. You will want a 1975-80 model HEI dist with the 4 prong ignition module, not the later computer controlled HEI with the 7 prong ign module. I would say you're good to go on the HEI, just putting that out there, so you'll know the difference.

MegaOlds

Apprentice
May 20, 2014
Awesome thanks for the replies Evan. Much appreciated! :D

Evan11

Royal Smart Person
Apr 17, 2009
Southern Indiana
no problem 8)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor