Edelbrock 350 or 383 Crate Motor? Streetable?

Status
Not open for further replies.

V6UnderPressure

Greasemonkey
Jul 7, 2008
New Lenox, IL
I'm looking at two crate motors. Not to purchase, but to follow the blueprint for my own build. I am contemplating two setups but am a little cornfused. First off, here are the two setups I am considering for a build:

http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive_new ... _435.shtml

http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive_new ... _460.shtml

Now the 435 definitely looks like a more "streetable" setup. However, the 435 is a 350ci and the 460 is a 383ci. Yet the 435 is only 25hp/tq less than the 460. I am considering going with the 435 setup due to the streetability of the cam, yet I'd like to make the block a 383. Would a 383 be suitable for that combo? In other words, I'd like to take the 435 setup and make the bottom end a 383. Would it not be matched for the head/cam combo? Or should I just go with the 460 setup with the more agressive cam? Or is it too much cam? Thanks all for any help. :mrgreen:

Dr. Rudy

Greasemonkey
Mar 19, 2011
Pennsylvania
well it seems everyone is using powdered metal rods, so go with the 383, more torque is just better in my opinion and you can change the cam if you want to. especially if you are gonna build it the longer stroke will make the car have a lot more feel of funness haha. and if you go fuel injection, while more complicated, you can help balance out the roughness of a cam with it to make an engine more streetable.

V6UnderPressure

Greasemonkey
Jul 7, 2008
New Lenox, IL
Dr. Rudy said:
well it seems everyone is using powdered metal rods, so go with the 383, more torque is just better in my opinion and you can change the cam if you want to. especially if you are gonna build it the longer stroke will make the car have a lot more feel of funness haha. and if you go fuel injection, while more complicated, you can help balance out the roughness of a cam with it to make an engine more streetable.

I'm definitely going to keep it carbureted. I don't plan on going fuel injection any time soon.

84sbcregal23deg

Apprentice
Jan 6, 2011
Long island, NY
both of those engines are pleeennnnnttttyyyyy streetable. especially with the edelbrock carbs. i wouldn't think twice about duplicating the 383 version. bigger is always better with that kinda stuff

woody31

Greasemonkey
Feb 5, 2012
as said either one can be streetable if it where me i would go with a 350 bored .o6o
and build it as they did however i wouldnt run a edelbrock anything even if you gave it to me,
the only way to go with a carb is SEAN MURPHY INDUCTIONS
ask me how i know cheers

megaladon6

Comic Book Super Hero
May 29, 2006
Danbury, CT
that engine's not much more than my 383. and let me tell you, it's streetable! matter of fact i want to go bigger, just because there's so much bottom end to spare. look at the graph, 400TQ at 2500rpm!
the extra cubes mean you can go that much farther before losing streetability.

84sbcregal23deg

Apprentice
Jan 6, 2011
Long island, NY
megaladon6 said:
that engine's not much more than my 383. and let me tell you, it's streetable! matter of fact i want to go bigger, just because there's so much bottom end to spare. look at the graph, 400TQ at 2500rpm!
the extra cubes mean you can go that much farther before losing streetability.

X2!i used a cam that was a little more rowdy than the performer rpm hyd roller in a 355. 3000 stall, single pane, idled at 900 rpm no problem with no vacuum advance and 650 holley hp with no choke/ mech secondaries. would imagine a lighter carb would've been even better.

V6UnderPressure

Greasemonkey
Jul 7, 2008
New Lenox, IL
So you think the 383 setup with the 2207 cam is streetable enough? That's virtually my only worry.

megaladon6

Comic Book Super Hero
May 29, 2006
Danbury, CT
mine's a 383, 9.7:1, 230/236 duration w/about 500 lift, vortec heads. she rips the tires at 1/4 throttle and hauls right through 6k rpm. she has some lope, but not too much (actually i want more). i could EASILY lose some bottom end and still street drive everyday. you'll be fine!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor