Edelbrock EPS. Worth it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RegMan79

Apprentice
Feb 23, 2016
Tucson, AZ
Hey all, I got a 79 Monte stock 305, th350, 273 gears (possibly going to 3.73 soon). I found an edelbrock performer EPS for really cheap. Would this fit? Would it work with or with out emissions issues? Would it even be worth the effort?

• Creative
Reactions: 1 user

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
EPS intakes are non-emission and for square-bore carbs. No EGR, so you won't pass emissions. Unless you add an adapter plate, you also won't be able to use your Quadrajet.

That said, I used an EPS on a 350 with Vortec heads. The Weiand Stealth intake I bought first turned out to be a really crappy casting. I exchanged it for the next higher priced intake for Vortecs, which was the EPS. It was a typically beautiful Edelbrock casting. The motor is going into a truck, and the Summit website says the EPS design enhances power at 3500 RPM, perfect for a truck that will not see >4000 RPM hardly ever.

I suggest keeping the 2.73s or going no higher than 3.23s unless you also go to an overdrive. 3.73s and a 1:1 top gear equated to 3400ish RPM in my Malibu (memory from a while ago) at highway speeds. Adding a 700-R4 (3.06 1st vs 2.48 in a TH350) in front of those 2.73s would improve off-the-line performance and make a nice high-speed cruiser. Swap a Powertrax in place of the spider gears, and it will get better yet.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

RegMan79

Apprentice
Feb 23, 2016
Tucson, AZ
I don't really do any high way driving, looking to have a quick street car. I think this transmission will be in for a while too. Mainly short trips around town and occasional red light show down. I'll eventually get a better engine and have other upgrades planned too

SoFloG

Royal Smart Person
Mar 9, 2016
South Florida
Good intake for a mild small block. A bit more updated design than the regular performer. Had one on a 350 wing a small cam and bolt ons. Would buy it again for a similar application.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor